What new cars have "real" hand-controlled parking brake?

Where financial sites will use emailed codes I use that, but not all will. I usually go to my computer when I am done watching TV for the evening and I don;t want a phone call waking up my wife who is usually asleep by 9 and up at 4. Some sites will let me set up my two factor auth. with a phone call and then not needing it as long as I am using the same computer and browser. Since I only have a desktop, that is not much of a problem. Every one tells me I will eventually have to get a smartphone, but I don’t think so, I love being untethered.

One of the things I loved about being a truck driver was being out on the open road with no one looking over your shoulder. I would not want to be a driver today with GPS tracking your every move and electronic log books and your employer knowing where and when you stopped and how many minutes you spent there and exactly how fast you are going. Might just as well have a job on an assembly line.

1 Like

Yeah the bank just started that multi-check and it is a little irritating, but then you could check the option box to not get it as long as you are using the same computer. Just for the record though, you don’t need a smart phone. I’ll get the text code on my flip phone. I know I know, I think I’ll have to get one. My wife is looking for her old one to give me. She’s on about her fourth one now after a jerk in Sweden stole one from her (good luck using it jerk buddy-it’s locked). You can’t even get in the ball park now without one because they don’t issue paper tickets and they are all on your phone. So comes a point I guess. Who needs a $15 hot dog anyway?

1 Like

Ask yourself that question in the 6th inning when you bolted to the park without eating first :wink:
Then you’ll need that $10 beer or soda to wash it down

I’ll take a gutbomb, sliders and a wash
that’ll be $35.
:open_mouth:

Yeah, but you get to watch the Red Sox play. @bing is stuck watching the Senators, uh, Twins and I’m stuck with the Orioles. Tickets and food can approach $50 for one person.

We solve that issue by bringing our own food and bottled water.

I don’t have a mobile phone of any king . Home phone only. I did have a cell phone but I gave it away in 1995 when I retired.

1 Like

“
In fact without going out in the garage and looking
”
Does that mean you never use it? Every stop where I, or a passenger will be getting out or in, the “extra” brake goes on, as well as transmission into Park. Safe, not sorry.

But you might check your sheriff’s office or local P.D. for a spare, out of contract, but working, cell phone of any type (but newer ones may have GPS
more in a second). As long at it functions (turns on) and has a charged battery, you can call 911 with it (Stay on line to give them details, but GPS might get them to within 100 yds of your location).

Never know when you might need 911, for yourself or others-- The ticker can act up, you can slide into a ditch, other drivers may need help, desperately, etc, etc. Best thing about being retired
I don’t answer if I don’t want to!

I use it at the post office that is on a hill but that’s about it with the Pontiac. I think I used it once in the Acura but can’t recall when and seems to me had a little trouble getting it off again. So yeah, use it rarely and never lost a car in 50 years.

After I gave my cell phone away in 1995 when I retired, I started driving a school bus part time which gave me weekend, holidays and summers off. In the summer of 2000, my wife and I set off on what turned out to be an 86oo nile trip to see the sights and parks of the west. Our children and grandchildren badgered us, saying we absolutely could not make such a trip without a cell phone, especially in an 8 year old van with 90000 miles on it. I bought a Track Fone and tried to activate it for two days but every time I called, the ine was busy so I took it back to the store and got a refund,

The only time I would have tried to use it, was somewhere East of Tonapah Nevada where we came upon a couple whose car was broke down, I stopped, gave them some of our water and apologized for not having a cell phone to call for help for them. They said " We have a cell phone, they just don’t work out here."

In the approx 200 miles between Bishop CA and Tonopah, we saw 3 cars going the other way and sighs for area 51.