What kind of coolant can you use and how much

Zerex Asian formula coolant looks the same and smells the same as Toyota SLLC.
The bottle also says it’s compatible with Toyota.
That’s what I used for the second coolant change on my 2006 Matrix, at 10 years old.
Just drain and fill, no flush.

1 Like

No, this will be the 1st coolant exchange. Should that change my situation? Should I be worried?

If this is the first coolant replacement, have the system flushed.

This replaces 100% of the coolant in the system.

The flush machine I use just connects between the upper radiator hose and the radiator.

You just fill the machine with a 50/50 mix of coolant, turn the machine on and watch it replace all the coolant.

No muss, no fuss.

Most people who recommend against using a flush machine for anything have never seen one, or much less ever used one.

When they’re actually the norm in the auto service industry.

Tester

1 Like

Nice machine! I like it!

I think the controversy is over the definition of “flush.”
I think some folks are opposed to a chemical flush where a chemical formula is introduced into the cooling system to clean it.

Your machine takes only coolant/water mix, right?
I don’t believe many would recommend against that. I consider it an “exchange,'” not a flush, a coolant exchange machine.

Time is money for a mechanic (and his/her customers). That little beauty must be a money maker.
CSA

1 Like

I also suggest using the Toyota spec coolant and it may be available at parts stores. I asked about it once and they had it in bulk in the back. I understand that many people use this coolant in other cars as well because they feel it is better than many of the alternatives.

I use the universal yellow-green stuff in some cars myself. These are all older and no longer under warranty. I do not feel it is a bad coolant to use but feel that in this case the Toyota might be better.

Remember that the military may keep things simple but often has more money to replace or repair things than we do. This may be “good enough” but not good enough to make the system last a really long time. Sometimes military grade means cheap and easy as in made quickly by the lowest bidder so remember that.

I also use distilled water in my mix since I am on very mineralized well water. Your results may vary depending on where you live. For example, the Flint water probably wouldn’t have worked out too well in a cooling system!

Who knows? It could be a Martha Stewart good thing. That flint water would possibly not freeze in a cooling system with no anti-freeze mixed into it! :wink:
CSA

True but the Flint water would eat the cooling system from the inside out much like it did the lead pipes. It was too acidic.

True, but have you ever been to Flint? I have. Chances are you won’t have your car for very long. :open_mouth:

I wouldn’t be too worried, but this is one situation where I would agree with @Tester and @common_sense_answer below. Do not flush in your driveway with a chemical flush.

You should draw a sample of the coolant. If you can see through it clearly, then I would suspect that it has been changed before because it is in very good shape and still protecting your system. If it is cloudy, then it has stopped protecting your system or is offering very little protection.

If it is murky brown, like muddy water, then that would be a bigger concern as damage is being done. If you aren’t overheating, then a good coolant exchange on a flush machine like @Tester’s may save the system for some time, but you may want to have all the hoses and the thermostat changed with the flush. In the long run, it could save you money and keep you from getting stranded or doing more serious damage to your engine.

I agree. When I’m simply doing a preventative coolant change, I flush my cooling system with only plain hose water. That is a flush, but not with a chemical. I don’t like chemical flushing. If a radiator or heater core has so much crud buildup that a chemical flush is recommended, it needs to be replaced. I don’t need some chemical residue eating away at the innards of my cooling system.

Many have their own definition of “flush”, but I stick with the one in all the dictionaries.
My proctologist does too… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would not recommend flushing with a garden hose either. For a good clean well maintained system, just drain and refill. For a neglected but still functioning system, I’d follow @Tester’s procedure. Nothing else. I’d no more stick a garden hose in my radiator than I would down my oil cap.

I have flushed neglected systems with white vinegar before. I just let it sit overnight after being warmed up and then drain it out the next day. Since I know it doesn’t all come out I then pull the upper hose and start up the engine and keep a garden hose in the radiator. I start the engine and once it circulates a while, you can shut it off. I then pull the lower hose so what is left drains out.

Flushing with a hose may not be perfect but it seems to work well enough for me. I then use distilled water and coolant to refill.

I have been known to wash computer parts in my kitchen sink with warm water and dish soap. This treatment is reserved for those components basically ruined by cigarette smoke and spilled drinks so there is little to loose. Believe it or not it works. I rinse with tap water for a while after the soap and then give a final soak in a pan of distilled water. I then soak in 91% rubbing alcohol and then let dry for a day in front of a fan. I don’t think an automotive cooling system is intolerant of a few minerals and electrolytes like electronics but you could always refill with distilled water, let it circulate, and then drain once again before refilling if you are that concerned. It would cost maybe $2 and some of your time.