What kind of car should I get

Additionally, they sometimes publish incorrect info.
I seem to recall @ok4450 stating that one of his cars was listed on CarFax as having been stolen, even though it had been in his driveway for several years. At least, I think that is what he reported.

2 Likes

A friend of mine bought a brand new car five years later he decided to sell it he got all the service record’s together an decided to pull a CarFax as an extra selling point the CarFax stated that the car was stolen and totaled out that is the main reason I don’t trust CarFax.

3 Likes

Someone with his wealth, who makes a point out of not spending any money is just plain cheap IMHO.

Your cars aren’t cheap, Mike, although you don’t replace them often.

I don’t think he’s cheap…he just knows what he wants and sets his priorities. You don’t have to spend for the sake of spending.

1 Like

I assume that we are talking about Warren Buffett.
If that is the case, let us not forget about the continuing charitable efforts of The Oracle of Omaha.
His goal is to give away most of his fortune before he dies.

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/buffett-makes-annual-donations-worth-29b-charities-71679836

:+1:

My mother used to say, “There are no pockets in burial shrouds”, and apparently Mr. Buffett has a similar philosophy.

3 Likes

He could afford anything and everything he wants, he doesn’t need to set any priorities.

I worked with a woman who bought a Lotus Elise with cosmetic damage to the low slung front clam, easily repaired by her husband, that had a clean title and carfax. Even when they sold it a few years later with a disclaimer for the damage.

I’ve also seen mileage discrepancies flagged by Carfax that appeared to be more likely an error by whoever entered the mileage at that service. More of an issue with a Ferrari 328 at auction than a Toyota Camry but could still turn buyers off. The Ferrari that I use as an example went trough a collector car auction with the carfax issue but also paperwork from where the car was registered stating that the current mileage was correct.

Sure he does. Buffet apparently made charitable giving his highest priority. If that’s his thing, he will have to back off in other areas. Bill and Melinda Gates plan to give away almost their entire fortune, and set up a foundation to do exactly that. Jay Leno made his car collection a top priority. When you’re rich, you can afford to make those choices.

This discussion just reminded me of my now-deceased City Councilman.
When speaking with him, one would not have been aware of his wealth unless they had done some research about his background. He was the heir to two family fortunes, having inherited a large distilling company from his father, and a reasonably-large clothing manufacturing company from his mother’s family.

And yet, the two cars that he owned were an old Mercedes wagon and an almost-as-old BMW sedan. Both of those cars were not exactly primo-looking, with the Mercedes having a badly-worn coat of beige paint, and the BMW having been repainted at some point in an atrocious shade of green. His home was a very nice one, but it was not a mansion and was not even close to being the largest one in the neighborhood. Clearly, appearances meant little to him, and he was not interested in impressing anyone.

When he passed away, his obituary listed all of his charitable endeavors and his extensive volunteer work, which he did in addition to holding a low-level clerical job. Most likely, his coworkers had no clue about his wealth.

1 Like