What kind of car do you want?

At first, I was going to say I wanted a Ferarri or a Lambroghini, but since I will have to pay for maintenance, insurance, and fuel with my current income, I will have to settle for a Honda Civic Si coupe. I would also test drive the Civic Hybrid, but would probably end up with the Si. My reasoning mirrors yours: “…good reputation for reliability, not a gas guzzler, and not so expensive or sporty as to be impossible to insure.”

This hypothetical question is predicated on the fact that purchase price is 100% free. Depreciation isn’t an issue if the car is free.

1970 - 72 Buick GSX Stage II convertible or hard top with a 4 spd.

Ed B.

OK, then I guess it doesn’t matter. I’ll still keep my old cars, though. (-;

My original point was that one should find a way of doing all their “if I ever win the lotto” stuff anyway. If someone really wants to own a vette/911/whatever during their lifetime they should get off their butt and figure out how to make it happen without a fairy godmother’s help. The folks driving those cars didn’t have a fairy godmother either (at least most of them didn’t).

guess I could modify it to be a hard top convertible :stuck_out_tongue:

If the car was free and someone else maintained it, I would pick the quietest car with great handling, which would probably be an Infinti 35.

It’s fun to take this toy off the shelf and play with it. And if I really wanted the Corvette badly enough, I’d buy it. I have other priorities at this time. Maybe I will buy it in 7 to 10 years. I might change my mind by then. To put it another way: If I had $60,000 in a pile on the floor that I could torch, I’d buy the 'Vette.

“To put it another way: If I had $60,000 in a pile on the floor that I could torch, I’d buy the 'Vette.”

Yup, that’s how you have to treat toys. If you have to worry about the cost, they become a burden, not something to enjoy.

I don’t know, I might just keep the car I have, an Accord V6 with 6 speed manual. I might go for a 5 series BMW, but I’d have to try driving one first and then I’d have to spend some time checking out the Acura version of the Accord to see if I really liked it better, and then a few other cars like Lexus or the VW Phaeton W12. Apparently that’s a very nice, if unpopular, car. But, I’d probably stick with the Accord because it suits me.

C6 for me too, though I would keep the Grand Marquis for a daily driver.

What irks me is the folks who have nice cars, but turn them into trailer queens that only show up at a car show where it’s washed and waxed shown for a couple hours then thrown back into the trailer to take back home. If they wanted something like that, they should just buy a 1:24 scale diecast version of the vehicle.

There’s nothing wrong with owning a show car (although it’s not my thing). It’s a significant investment to own one, I’m glad someone is reserving these cars. From a show point of view, you can’t really drive them to the show and expect them to be in perfect condition (i.e., spotless top and bottom). If you drive through one puddle, you are going to spend 8 or 10 hours detailing the under-carriage (or paying someone else several $100 to do it for you).

Personally, I prefer to own cars I can actually drive.

Hey, it’s free. You don’t need to buy the inexpensive Phaeton when you can have the A8 W12. And they are still available. Rear power reclining seats are standard, and you can add a refrigerator in the rear seat pass-thru (to the trunk) for a couple of bottles of wine! Passengers, only, of course.

Ford F-150 4WD, extended cab with all the bells and whistles available. I do a lot of fly fishing, and would love to have this truck (with a cap, of course, so I could sleep in the back). I would be in heaven!

Sorry for the negative reply but an Acura TL just does not have that “rich” appearance; is invisible in traffic. Honda has not been able to make a luxury car appear expensive in my view. The Acura TL looks like a Malibu, Camry or Accord. For that kind of money you could buy a Cadillac CTS, a small BMW or Mercedes. There is a Lincoln or two that manages to look prosperous too. If you insist on a Honda, it might as well be the Accord. If you want something in that price range that has a difference in style, then Cadillac CTS will do it plus you get rear wheel drive and no rubber belt drive for the camshaft. I’d check too to see if the Honda Acura TL requires premium gasoline.

Masseratti, Quatroporte

1951 mercury 2 dr sedan. Ford Windsor 351. Slush. chopped & channeled,burgundy color,rolled and pleated interior,cruiser full length skirts, conny.
I’ll bet 80% of you here have no idea what i’m talking about

That’s the kind of car you love, until you drive it. I drove one with a McCulloch supercharger and it went forward in a straight line sort of OK, if you don’t mind weaving about some, but it did not corner at all. Looked absolutely wonderful, but driving it was an exercise in fear.

Top-o-the-line Trek 21-speed mountain bike

If the trunk of a Honda S2000 will fit all the instruments I have to carry when i have to play a show gig, I’d take that.

If not, I’ll take an older Lexus IS300, modified with a Getrag 601 6-spd tranny, turbocharger and GTE (supra) internals, with an upgraded differential and some wider rear tires. (The IS300 is basically the Toyota supra without the twin turbos that is sold in Japan.) Push 500+ horses, looks very stylish, and has room to actually put people in the back seat.