What is this and why was it in the bottom of my oil pan? :)

Took the valve cover off and thought I’d take some pictures:

I could not see anything that resembled the mysterious thing in my oil pan. Definitely not part of the valve train assembly as far as I can tell.

One thing I did notice is that my rocker arms have some side to side play? Is this normal? They spring back to their original position but I thought it was a little odd…here’s a video of what I’m talking about:

Guess I’m wrong about a lash adjuster not being too familiar with them so at this point I’d have to think some more about that widget you found in the pan.

Along the not familiar theme I might add that sideplay is normal although normally I’m not used to seeing them with that much easily free movement. It’s not something I’d worry about at all.

Looks pretty clean in there and for the money you gave for the car sounds like a steal. Congrats…

OK, I figured out what it is. It’s a lucky charm! Put it back in when you reassemble it and you’ll get another 130K miles out of it.

Appears to be a plunger from a hydraulic valve lash adjuster. If your motor has solid lifters then it’s possible that someone put it there as a prank.

Good time to check your valve clearances. My guess - that’s a oil or coolant passage bushing that goes between the block and head.