What is the noisiest set of tires you've ever owned?

Yup!
That is exactly what we experienced with those Assurance Triple-Treds after they were moderately-worn!

Kumho Solus KL21 on the rear - sounds like a friggin train is following you.

2 Likes

Noisiest ever was a set of crap Nittos (donā€™t remember the model now, itā€™s been a couple of decades at least) that came on a CRX I bought used. Terrible traction, too, and they only had about 3k on them when I bought it. If youā€™re spinning the tires in second gear in a sub-100hp car, something ainā€™t right! Replaced them with Yoko ES100s and the difference was night and day.

Iā€™ve got Bridgestones on my Acura right now because they were deeply discounted and therefore much cheaper than the Michelins I usually put on it. Iā€™ll be going back to Michelin next time. These arenā€™t bad but they are noisier than they ought to be, and the ride isnā€™t as good.

2 Likes

@kurtwm2010 Do you ever rotate the tires? Does that make the noise better for a while? Or does it just continue? Just curious.

tried rotating, but nothing makes a difference. I even under and over inflated just to see if there is a difference. Nope. Just a bad design, I guess.

Agree. Sounds like they are just noisy tiresā€¦ pun intended!

I resemble that remark. I have had a couple sets of OEM tires where I felt like celebrating when they didnā€™t last 20,000 miles. I could have filed a warranty claim and got a few dollars off on replacements but in no way wanted replacements! Noisiest? 195/65/15 Bridgestones and 215/45/17 Goodyear Eagles both OEM.

I like most others here have had good, bad, or indifferent tires. Probably my best overall tires were 1980 Dunhill (Korean) 205/60/14 Steel belted radials. They were mounted in 1980 on a 1971 Ford Mustang coupe 250 cu in I6 A/T that I purchased as a cheap 112 miles round trip commuter car. They were less than $40 (possibly less than that) each mounted and balanced from Superior Tire Service. I chose them because they were reasonably priced and had a good tread pattern. They ended up being the best rain tires I have ever had. After 70,000 miles (75% highway) they were still serviceable with no excessive noise. Sometimes you win!

That must be why you canā€™t get Dunhill tires anymoreā€¦ they just lasted to darn long and were too darn good. Nobody need to buy replacements. :grinning:

1 Like

ā€¦but luckily, you can still find Dunhill Menā€™s Cologne!
I particularly recommend their 51.3N scent.

Whatā€™s that?
Those are different Dunhill companies?
Who woulda thunk?

:grin:

2 Likes

Very counterproductive for corporate profits.

1 Like

Back in 1951, my Dad had a 1949 Dodge that was due for tires. Apparently, the 7.10 x 15 tires, a popular size, were in short supply due to the Korean conflict. The service station where he traded couldnā€™t get the Goodyear that they handled. My dad was finally able to get two 7.10x 15 at Western Auto in its Davis Deluxe house brand. A couple of weeks later, his service station was able to locate two Goodyear 7.10 x 15 tires. The Western Auto tires outlasted the Goodyear and ran more quietly to boot. I have always felt that buying tires is a crap shoot. I read the Consumer Reports ratings but I had good luck with Duralon tires and Armstrong tires that CR never tested.

1 Like

@VDCdriver Iā€™ll second those comments about the Triple-Treds. I bought them for most of the same reasons, and had reasonably good traction for all-seasons, but the noise was disappointing from Day 1. And they only got louder after that. Iā€™m probably going to live with them for another year or so then swap them out for Defenders.

@db4690 You may have the older version of the Triple-Treds. My understanding is that Goodyear redesigned them a few years back and they got noiser then.

Mine have a 2009 date stamp, FWIW. And theyā€™ve never been noisey. Theyā€™re wearing perfectly and have decent tread left, but the elements have taken their toll

yes . . . I know itā€™s time to replace them, and Iā€™ll have them done when Michelins are again $70 off at Costco, which will hopefully be soon

Costco has had $70 off Bridgestone for several weeks now, and will until the last week of August. Iā€™m hoping Michelin is next, because apparently they only stock Michelin, Bridgestone and BF Goodrich.

Iā€™m leaning towards Michelin Premiere

I could install them myself at work, but for a few reasons

My lunch break is only 1/2 hour

Somebody may see me mounting brand new tires and installing them on my personal car and think to themselves ā€œNow I have the proof. I just caught this guy in the act. Iā€™m sure he stole those tires from the warehouse.ā€

And maybe heā€™ll tell his supervisor that Iā€™m up to no good

Never mind the fact we donā€™t even stock my exact size in our warehouse

Even though Iā€™m sure I could present a receipt and ā€œclearā€ myself no problem, Iā€™d rather not have to face that rather remote and hypothetical situation

The noisiest tires Iā€™ve ever owned?
Coopers. In 215-45/17 size, ā€œVā€ rated if I remember correctly.

My wifeā€™s car came with Continentals (I donā€™t remember the model) and they were crappy noisy tires. They lasted 40,000 miles and I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred. My wife asked me why I didnā€™t put those tires on sooner because they rode so well.

Iā€™ve never driven on a Cooper tire that I was happy with.

Back in the 1980ā€™s grandpa bought a Buick that had General tires. They made the car sound like a lawnmower.

Contis werenā€™t the noisiest tires Iā€™ve ever bought, but they were the worstā€¦ by a longshot. They rode terribly and vibrated no matter what was tried. I wouldnā€™t put a Conti on my car if you paid me to. Well, perhaps if you paid me A LOT!! :laughing:

I donā€™t think any passenger tires were noisier than the snow tires we uses back in the 1950s and 1960s. When we replaced the tires on our 2003 4Runner, our independent tire dealer has both Cooper and Michelin in the correct size. The Cooper were less expensive by a couple hundred dollars for a set of 4, but he said that the Michelin were quieter. Mrs. Triedaq was with me and that is all she needed to hear. We bought the Michelin tires. I have never been bothered by a little tire noise, but my wife is much more sensitive.

Speaking of Continental tires . . .

When I was working at the Benz dealership, the common C and E class cars . . . Iā€™m not talking AMG models, BTW . . . usually came from the factory with Continental or Michelin

Anyways, a customer reached a deal on a car, but he said something to the effect of ā€œIā€™m only taking it with Michelins, or the dealā€™s offā€ . . . he got it in writing

Well, turns out we had to rack 2 otherwise identical new cars and swap some tires and rims, so that the deal went through. Of course, the mechanics doing the switcheroo got shafted. They were promised to get paid ā€œon the shopā€ . . . but of course it never happened. That shop screwed over so many mechanics, no wonder the turnover rate was high. Iā€™m pretty sure I wasnā€™t one of the ones switching rims and tires, but I know for a fact that nobody got paid, in spite of a promise of getting paid

Iā€™d say the customer was smart enough to realize that Michelin was by far the better choice. I think they were using MXV4 plus, back then

the Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires on my wifeā€™s Mazda 3 (OEM tires), worst ever, we canā€™t hear the radio at highway speeds, unless the volume is blastingā€¦