What is the best thing you have found to keep your car smelling fresh

How about staying away from Cleveland?

Ha! I’ve driven my vehicle 210,000 miles in and around Cleveland and it still smells showroom new.

I really need to get hold of the coffee Blackbird drinks. :wink:

Biggest tip for keeping the car smelling nice is don’t eat in it. Ever.

Thats true too…no eating in vehicle…never know when you will take a sharp turn and lose that Whopper under a seat for a month or TWO…LOL…

HEY…I never had a cup of coffee in my life! Probably would’nt be a good idea for me either. I apologize for my usual LONG WINDED answers…but I try to be thorough when I offer assistance, I’m just trying to help…

Should I shorten my posts? Offer less info? Just get the hell off the site? LOL… Sorry if my long answers are a nuisance people…that’s just how I am, I guess. I TRY to cover all the bases.

I can stop if it is an issue or bothers you guys…

This is deteriorating so I’ll add…dating out of your class. Waterboy, I noticed when single that ladies always smelled better when they used the more expensive perfumes; and my cars did too. Don’t use this method as a reason to keep car smelling nice if you’re married now though. The next smell could be that “dead body” smell, yours.

Btw, Honda…just keep talking. We all have a better chance of putting our foot in mouth if we do.

I try to avoid the one-cheek lean whilst in my car.

If you don’t lean, you will definitely leave a smell behind.

Regular vacuuming, occasional shampooing, and monthly Febreze spraying. EVERYONE comments on how clean my cars smell.

Bloody_knuckles, glad you are able to do that, I have not been able to do vacuuming, shampooing and fabreeze on a regular basis. Congrats to you for doing so! I managed to claybar and wax the car this year, course I had to do claybar after critter opened the tailgate, and a gallon of paint poured out on the driveway, and in my wisdom (not) pressure washed the paint off the driveway, but the paint ended up reconstituting itself on my car!

Should I shorten my posts?

Nope. I’m just giving you crap. :wink:

Speaking of Carp, the japanese are buying this invasive species as ours taste better, money in the bank.

Speaking Of Smells And Cars And "This is deteriorating so I’ll add… "

Near the end of my high school days and a ways beyond, my buddies and I would sometimes hop in a car, van, whatever and drive nonstop on a 1,300 mile one-way roadtrip to go skiing in Colorado (back when an all-day lift ticket at Vail was $9 and gas was 30 cents ).

Anyhow, we stopped at a gas station in farm country in Nebraska. We were pretty much “suburbs boys” and my friend had been complaining of a horrific odor (more than just high school guys) for several miles. It was a warmish day and I tried to explain that manure was spread over the fields at certain times and that’s what he was smelling.

He wasn’t really buying my story, so as soon as the car stopped he jumped out. My friend screams to the station attendant (remember those ?), " What the hell stinks so much around here ? " I’m elbowing him and trying to tell him, " Ray, that’s an insult to the guy, just be quiet . . . "

It was too late. The guy heard him loud and clear.
The attendant takes a great big inhale through both nostrils and immediately says, " I don’t smell nuthin ! " I felt very relieved. Of course the guy didn’t smell it, that was the normal smell for him.

CSA

When I was in 7th grade back in 1953, a colleague of my dad left his 1940 Chrysler with us while this colleague took a leave of absence to finish his degree. That Chrysler interior smelled terrible–a combination of vomit and dog urine. I guess the owner didn’t notice the odor, but we thought it was terrible. The interior was filthy and my dad put me to work with the vacuum cleaner and a scrub brush. That improved it somewhat, but the odor was still there. I even put a bottle of Airwick in the car which did mask the odor with a pine scent. I was sure glad when my dad’s colleague returned and took the Chrysler back to its original home.
On my present cars, once a year I use a Bissel “Little Green Machine” to clean the carpets and upholstery. This keeps a car smelling fresh. Also, in the winter when the cars bring in slush from the salted road, the calcium chloride that drips on the garage floor has a terrible odor. It seems to find its way into the cars. I scrub the garage floor every other week during the road salt season to keep the odor out of the garage and hopefully out of the cars.

Don’t smoke in the car, or put things in the car that smell or do things in the car that smell…But after a while, like 10 or 15 years, they ALL start to smell pretty bad as the entire interior starts to degenerate back into the petroleum from which it was made…Luxury car? “The fine leather interior” picks up moisture, sweat, various bodily fluids…Mix that up with the tanning chemicals and the slowly rotting leather and it’s going to take more than an air freshener…

People say “I’m going to keep this car forever” But after about 10 or 12 years, they can’t stand it anymore…

For the leather, Leatherique makes a really good cleaner/restoration system. It pulls that embedded grime out for you to wipe off, and restores the leather to softness rather than the hard state it gets to where it can crack. It’s pretty pricey - I think around $60 for both bottles, but very worth it. I use it on both of my leather-equipped cars, and my couch which is now 18 years old and looks almost new.