What happens if the A/C condenser motor breaks?

I recently took my Honda Accord in for it’s 150,000 mile check-up. They told me that the A/C condenser motor sounds funny and should probably be replaced for $375. Is this a good price? What’s the consequence if I don’t do it?

If it “sounds funny”, it might be the pulley bearing. If you let it go, the faint squealing noise you might be hearing now, will get louder, and eventually the bearing will seize causing the destruction of the belt that runs around it.

Is this an older Honda? If you have multiple belts, you could just remove the AC belt and not have AC if you don’t want to fix it. If you just have one belt, or a serpentine belt, you will need to get it fixed fairly soon.

I don’t believe you have an A/C condenser motor. The compressor doesn’t have a motor either. If it isn’t making much noise, I would not touch it.

There is no “A/C Condenser Motor”…There IS an A/C Compressor, it is driven through a belt by your engine. Then there is the “Heater Blower Motor” that also provides the airflow for the A/C system…

If they want to replace the Compressor for $375, no self-respecting Honda Dealer would do that job for less than $800 and most would work the bill up to over a Grand…

How about the electric radiator cooling fan, THATS in the $375 range…

You’re right, it is the fan. I called the dealer back and asked.

It’s a 2001 Honda Accord. I do want AC because I live in Texas.

I think that you can wait till it fails to replace it, as long as you keep a watch on the engine temperature.

I’d add that depending on where you live, you may be able to get away with ignoring it until spring at least. I live in Ohio and I don’t think my radiator fans have come on since November or so. (yes they work)

If the A/C condensor fan motor stops operating you will lose its ability to pull air through the condensor coils and radiator on the passenger side. If the engine cooling fan comes ‘on’ because the coolant temperature is getting too high you will get some heat dissipation from the drivers side. You only need the fans on when the car is moving slow or stopped at idle. At roadway speeds air flow should not be a problem. However, I think the A/C condensor fan stays running as long as the compressor clutch is engaged.

If the A/C condenser fan fails because of bearing failure, the current overload would probably take out the fuse supplying that circuit and maybe damage the contacts on the relay.

Hope this helps.