What do you use for gloves

You can get 10 nitrile gloves at Home Depot for $1.98. I can’t vouch for the quality, however. At that price, they are worth a look. It isn’t much of a loss to buy a pack and check them out.

I’ve used diamond latex gloves in the past . . . they’re overrated

I don’t use any gloves at work, unless I’m wrestling with a hot exhaust or something that is guaranteed to badly cut me

The problem with most gloves, is that you can’t really feel anything

Bare skin followed by fast orange with a hand/nail brush.

I prefer bare hands unless there is potential for ripping meat off my hand (mechanics type) or heavy grease (latex ). I don’t like heavy grease since the likeliness of slipping means likeliness of injury.

I agree that gloves in general make it much harder to feel, that’s why I like the disposable vinyl ones as they are thin and work well. I just hate going through multiple pairs on a job, but it sounds like that’s just the way of the world. Thanks for the input guys !!!

Just to clarify… I sweat a lot in nitrile gloves. Enough to fill the fingers with sweat! I can’t use cotton gloves inside because I have big hands and can’t buy latex gloves that large. Maybe I need a drain tube :wink: They’re cheap enough to change frequently.

This is what we’re provided at work

http://www.ansellcanada.ca/pages/produits/jetables/touch-n-tuff.aspx?Lang=EN-CA

http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/atlasfit300.html

The atlas gloves last a good long while, and are okay when working on a hot exhaust, but you can’t really feel anything

the ansell gloves are decent for brake jobs, because they don’t tear as quickly as some other brands do. You can actually get a few uses out of them, because they’re kind of thick. They’re definitely better than those thin latex gloves

But, as I said earlier, I usually don’t wear gloves at all.

Mechanics are supposed to have dirty, beat up hands!

I use nitrile and also do sweat a lot. Pretty much not able to take them off intact due to them being wet. I might put on 2 on top of each other, so when the 1st one has a tear I still have protection. I have started using them since I turned 40 and noticed that the dry skin and the tears are bugging me. Also, this way less washing needed. I was not able to put up with the Mechanix gloves due to the need for feel. I guess if I were taking tires off feel was not needed.

Somebody actually gave me a set of those Mechanix gloves several years ago

I quickly stopped wearing them, because of the lack of feeling

I never could understand how someone can wear mechanic gloves and handle an 8 MM nut or 10 MM socket without developing a severe case of Fumblelitis; especially while probing around blind in some cubbyhole.

Gloves are an annoyance to me; just like rings, wristwatches, gold chains, and baggy clothes.

Those rings, wristwatches, etc. are going to get snagged in something, and whoever’s wearing them will regret it

Very true. A guy I worked with years ago got a pretty nasty forearm gash while futzing around with a running engine when his wristwatch got snagged on a nick in a power steering pump pulley.

Many years ago the one sacrifice I made to the jewelry gods was a small gold earring in the left ear lobe. While in one of those acrobatic positions the earring snagged on a uniform shirt collar and got ripped out. That was the end of that…

About 7 or 8 years ago I decided to whittle a part out on the metal lathe one evening and did this while wearing a sweater with baggy sleeves. After setting the power feed and loitering around waiting for the cut to finish I inadvertently brushed my arm against the lathe chuck. That caught the sleeve and luckily for me it did nothing more than rip the sleeve apart and strain the shoulder a bit. For a second I thought my face was going to meet the chuck…

Stupid, stupid move on my part for even approaching the lathe with a sweater on.

I double glove at work, but only when I get a tear in the first glove. It often takes too long to let my hands dry before I put on a replacement glove, and double gloving allows me to get back to work quickly. If I need dexterity and feel, though, I won’t double glove.

I have a set of Mechanix-knockoff thinsulate-lined gloves that I only wear when I have to do work on someone else’s car outside in the winter. When the windchill is 40 below, I’ll put up with a little fumbling to keep my hands warm. I also strap those charcoal hand warmers to the underside of my wrists - this keeps them from bulking up the glove, and since they’re sitting right on the artery that feeds the hand, my hands stay nice and warm.

For indoor work I just use nitrile gloves that I buy for cheap at Harbor freight when I remember. But often I don’t think of wearing them until I’m about half way through the job and have oil and grease on my hands already.

I found the latex would disintegrate on my half way through a job, so last time I bought the blue nitrile gloves from Menards. I think 100 for $10-15 or something. They seem to be a little tougher but still rip pretty easily. I need to have something that allows full dexterity though so don’t think leather would do for me.

Yeah, like the ultimate fighters that enter the ring with a ponytail…

I have some Mechanix gloves and some cheap work gloves from the hardware store.

I used to forget the nitrile gloves and it was always an afterthought the next morning. Now I leave a pair on my toolbox. Same thing with my safety goggles.

As far as accessories, in a trauma setting they become a real PITA. Those rings/necklaces could cost someone a finger/life etc. So I don’t wear them at all.

I hate working with gloves…and hate working without gloves for all of those reasons that people want to and don’t want to wear them. So I do all of the above - often I just go without them. But sometimes am using nitrile, sometimes the nitrile coated nylon, sometimes mechanix-type, sometimes heavier leather. It partly depends on what I am doing and partly on what I can actually find in the garage at the moment.

Dollar General cotton cheapos for tire changing, exhaust wrestling, oil changes. Bare hands for anything which requires more “feeling”. But I’m only a weekend warrior, not a daily, so my hands aren’t ripped up too bad. My friend is a “real” mechanic and he wears a blue colored rubber type, never asked him what they were. Rocketman