What do electric car drivers do when they run out of "gas"?

Tesla’s have a built in GPS that knows where ALL the charging stations are and if you have enough juice to make it to one of them…By slowing down to around 45 MPH electric cars range is significantly extended if need be…If worst comes to worst, you get towed to the nearest charging station…Tesla’s charging station network is expanding rapidly so interstate travel is becoming painless and without worry. In cars equipped with a “Super-Charger” charging up to 80% of capacity can be done in 1/2 hour…These charging stations are open to all electric vehicles. At the moment I believe they are free…“Super-Charging” is not available at home unless you have a big upgrade done to your homes electrical service.

It makes sense that the charging infrastructure would be built-out along the interstates / main roads. I notice some big grocery stores, drugstores, shopping centers are putting in a few charging stations. Once there are more of them on the road, don’t expect the charging stations to remain free though. Probably be somewhat like a parking meter, swipe your credit card and pay for the amount of kw you take.

Makes sense a store would want to put in a charging station or two. Someone pulls in to charge you’ve kinda got a captive audience because you know its gonna take 30 minutes to 3 hours for them to charge up. :wink:

I suppose if you stay on the main roads / big towns you’ll mostly be okey. If you spend a lot of time driving the rural and secondary roads, well. . . . you’re probably not the demographic for an electric car anyway.

“Free”…to Teslas only,i.e., pre-paid with the purchase of the Tesla.

Ed, I agree with you. And to me the proliferation of charging stations is an indication that EVs are here to stay and will become commonplace in the coming years.

Curious, how standardized are the charging stations? Is it one size fits all ? with adaptors?

There’s Tesla, and there’s everybody else. I think Teslas can charge up anywhere, but only Teslas are allowed at the Tesla ‘supercharger’ stations. I have a BIG problem with that.

I think all other EVs can charge up at all non-Tesla chargers.