What causes tire wear like this?

Okay thank you! Would it be in my best interest to make sure my frame is not bent before I put all this money into it?

It would be unlikely to have structural damage from a collision at this speed but you might will get lucky.

You car has been inspected for damage but since you don’t have faith in that mechanic you may want to take the car to a professional.

Let’s review the facts: Accident, repaired, new tires, 6000 miles and 5 months later, the tires are worn out and worn unevenly.

Unless you drive in a 

ah 

let’s call it spirited manner, that shouldn’t happen. Even the worst case of driving in the downtown area of a city wouldn’t cause tires to wear that fast.

So the alignment is way off. Like George, I think it’s toe.

I don’t think the unevenness is that bad. That could be all due to the toe.

My mechanic said he tried to align it but it couldn’t align because he thinks the strut is bent.

Does that sound accurate? If it was the toe, he would be able to align and diagnose that?

I don’t want to pay to fix the struts and then he say “well it wasn’t that”

This goes to whether you trust your mechanic. He could be 100% correct, it would be one explanation for your car’s problems. We can’t see it, so we don’t know if he’s right. You could get a second opinion from a shop you trust (friends/family/yelp/google recommendations).

After reading the thread, it’s not clear for me if original body-shop repair included alignment.

@Tgtmatt_160598, do you still have receipts in your records to check the itemized list for alignment service present?

Most likely it was not done.

It would be a reasonable argument for the insurance company that their original repair did not include the item which was absolutely warranted for the accident involving direct hit into the front suspension area and a wheel.
I’m not sure what insurance company you use, but two which I was [forever] with offer a “lifetime repair warranty”, so if repair was not done right, it will be covered for corrections, even long after the accident.
Do not trust the insurance adjuster, check what your actual insurance coverage is.

Its your camber you need to level the Spindle out or just replace it cuz its obviously messed up from your accident!

The toe setting can be adjusted however the bent parts that caused the alignment to change should be replaced first. Also if the camber setting is off there is a limited amount of adjustment that can be made, the bent parts must be replaced.

Would you want to only adjust the toe and continue driving with a bent lower control arm or strut?