What causes PCV fails quickly?

Tester

So why the PCV valve keep failing - what are some possibilities?

I note that in the video scion posted it is inferred by the video poster that he was told originally his vehicle needed a valve adjustment for a grand. I tend to think he misunderstood that price as it should not cost anywhere near that much. He also seemed to think it was not needed.

That person chose to do this, that, and the other. Eventually under questioning he did admit to it needing a valve adjustment which fixed the problem. Temporarily. Any exhaust valve that has been running tight for even a low number of miles is going to resurface again at some point with a problem. It may take 10k or 20k miles but it will resurface.

Why do you keep insisting the PCV valve is failing when others are looking at your diagnostic data and saying itā€™s not?

What led you to conclude a PCV valve failure?

BTW, something being designed ā€œfor the life of the carā€ does not mean ā€œwill last 300 years as long as the engine still runs.ā€ It means itā€™s designed to last for the expected average life of the car, and your Teg is well beyond that.

3 Likes

I appreciate if you could read the posts above - I already answered.
PCV is an important component as per the car manual to pass emissions.

There are people with New CAT still failed on NO - just read.

I did read. No one is disputing that the PCV valve is important. We are asking why YOU think YOUR PCV valve is bad.

1 Like

I already answered it - it does nto make a ratting sound.

The PCV valve is important for emissions because instead of allowing the crankcase gasses to be released into the atmosphere, they are instead introduced into the intake system via the PCV valve to be burned in the engine.

It has nothing to do with NOx emissions.

Tester

1 Like

The guy in the link I posted above said that his CEL issue only went away after he changed the PCV. This make me to worry!

It is not designed to fail every week - something else is going on.

Is it accompanied with the oil dripping down as you remove it?

If YES, I would entertain the question on where that oil might come from and how your catalyst likes it (or not).

3 Likes

You keep saying this!

And yet, you havenā€™t explained in what way is the PCV valve failing?

Tester

1 Like

The last time I checked, there was no oil
Before it was oily but not dripping down.

Here is a link on testing PCV - people are asking why I think its failed again and again!. Quote:

Remove valve and shake. If it does not rattle, it needs to be replaced.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-do-a-PCV-valve-test

Then that means the crankcase gasses are sludging up the PCV valve because the engine has excessive blow-by past the piston rings,

Or in other words, the engine is worn out.

Tester

6 Likes

ā€¦ and what would that mean to the new catalyst to be installedā€¦ is it not gonna reduce its expected lifetime?

Is the vacuum port and line to the PCV valve open and clear?
Excessive blowby could be filling the valve with gunk.

Forget about the rattle, put the valve back in, it will be just fine.

Yes, so before spending any money on this vehicle, get a compression test done.

Chances are this engine has reached the end of itā€™s life.

Putting in a new cat may give you a couple more years, but only you can decide if a new cat is worth the gamble of getting possibly getting only a couple months/years for the cost.

1 Like

Low compression will cause high hydrocarbons from the tailpipe, this vehicle has low HC emissions.

If the PCV valve is getting so gummed up that it stops rattleing within a week, then the engine is just plane worn out. You are burning too much oil and that is plugging the PCV valve and you catalytic converter.

I think you need to avoid the YT guy with the Pilot. He stated after replacing plugs, EGR, and PCV the CEL did not come on but that was only for a 250 mile stretch.

He dismissed the idea of a dealer recommended valve adjustment. Much, much later following a question from another poster he admitted that the valves did need to be adjusted and apparently that cured the misfire codes.

Note that he corrected himself after mentioning running the engine at 3k RPMs for not 5 seconds but 5 MINUTES with the battery disconnected. That is a foolish move. The cut and paste below is where he admitted to the valve adjustment.

I thought your random misfire was solved through cleaning the list above? Did you eventually do a valve adjustment and solved the issue?

+Aaron Agsalud hi. Yes. This solved the problem enough for the codes to clear and pass smog. However, these motors tend to need a valve adjustment. Once that was done, it completely went away. If you get vvti light, most likely you will need valve adjustment.