What car would you get if you were...? Please help this car dummy

Look at a few of the compact Suv’s mentioned above like the CRV and the CX-5. I have a '15 Forester with the sunroof that even closed brings in lots of extra light and opened below highway speeds lets you bring in the wind and feel a little more open while still being able to put things on the roof (with crossbars installed) or get a hitch for the bike rack. You can subscribe to read CR online if you can’t find the printed guide (check the magazine rack at your favorite grocery store, you never know) Edmunds.com and Consumerguide.com have been two of my sources for information about features and any other information. If you could find a small suv or wagon with a panorama type sunroof I feel you’d have most everything that you wished for.

Welcome to California! As others have noted, a convertible isn’t very compatible with carrying stuff, surfboards, bicycles, or biggish canvases. I agree with others that you would be better off with a compact crossover (another word for a car-based SUV.) They are common in Southern California, so you should have plenty of used ones to choose from. In recent years the more desirable used cars have been holding their value well, so the price difference between new and lightly used isn’t very great. That’s because car sales were so poor a few years ago that there were fewer used cars available than typically. Buying used you still save some, but probably not as much as you expect when you allow for age and mileage.

Any compact crossover will be plenty big enough for your needs and there are plenty of good ones to choose from. The Honda CR-V is the perennial best-seller, but like all Hondas, used ones sell for high prices. Likewise the Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester. One thing to note is that many/most of the crossovers sold in California are front-wheel-drive, not all-wheel-drive, as is more common in snowy states. For typical driving here you don’t need awd, and it adds cost and reduces gas mileage. One exception is the Forester, as all of them are awd. The Southern California mountains get a moderate amount of snow at their highest elevations, but unless you’re a skier and plan on frequent trips into the mountains right after storms you really won’t be making use of awd, so you might as well save money and gas and get a fwd vehicle. Other popular models include the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, and the Mazda CX-5 and the older CX-7. There are many others, of course, but these are some of the better ones and popular enough that you’re likely to find them available all over.

The only other suggestion when trying out cars is; not to go by first impressions. Bring with you a list of requirements that match your life style as your search for a model. Then, put the car through it’s paces over a couple driving experiences once you have it down to a couple of vehicles. Even if a car matches your life style, if you can’t get comfy in it, you won’t later. At least one drive should be over varied terrain and for over an hour to make sure a longer drive is acceptable.

Strick off-road vehicles like Wrangers can wear on you quickly both with their harsh rides, poor and dangerous handling added maintenance and operating costs.

Because most new car buyers have the dealer do the service, that would be an important consideration. Right now, Toyota is offering a two year free service. Others may as well. That might be important because as it gives you two years to not only evaluate them, but check out recomended independents as well without being taken advantage of.

By the way, we car nuts here are always evaluating cars, even when we don’t need to purchase them…so our advice is always tempered with lots of advanced knowledge. It’s a learning game that can be fun over time so car shopping can be a rewarding experience and not something to be feared.

For your needs, a Mazda CX5 would be my choice. You can get a bike inside, but I recommend a bumper mounted bike rack.

Buy one in red and watch eyes swivel!

wolyrobb - thanks so much!

@‌Docnick
Most ladies including my wife have a keen sense of which color matches their skin tones and /or their personality. If guys were allowed to buy cars and give advice on color, car makers would be making plaid and denim cars. Fortunately no one listens to us. :wink:

you all have given me alot to think about. I have the online CR account so this together seems to be a good starting point prior to adventuring on test drives. Thanks again!

“If guys were allowed to give advice on color, car makers would be making plaid cars.”

Do you mean like this?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plaid+car&id=89B503D1F9C8734F2642C011910FC1EFC28F883B&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=7FD3ACBB91E173152267678AA1E41F190E61E2BD&selectedIndex=3

All the manufactures have build your own features on their websites. Use them to see what features and options they have. It will also give you an idea of cost before you ever go to the dealer. Also if you are in a location that the dealers are closed on Sunday you can look all you want without being bothered.

An option would be to look at the Prius V, the bigger wagon style one.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072100_2014-toyota-prius-v-hybrid-wagon-ultimate-guide
The rear cargo area is large, and the rear seats fold down giving a huge cargo space if needed. There are a wide array of roof top cargo systems for everything from bicycles to kayaks to surf boards. thule.com/fitguide/Default.aspx?language=en-US&market=US

The Toyota in general is very reliable, and the Prius has proven to be as well. The larger V will get around 42mpg and hold its resale value at an above average rate.

It’s a great all around vehicle that is very versatile.

@dagosa My wife loves her Mazda3 Sport in “velocity red”. Most of her friends like bright colors.

If you want an American car, buy used, they depreciate more. If you want Japaneese, buy new , they are overpriced used. If you want European, budget more money for repairs, a lot more money. You won’t think of Volkswagen as an economy car if you start repairing one.

Check out a Chevrolet HHR. No sunroof but it should be a good hauler, moreso with a roof rack. You can buy an accessory roof rack from others such as ski or surfboard stores. Make sure that you have the needed upper body strength to load it before you buy a roof rack. Sunroofs have largely gone away. We had a car with one and don’t miss it.

I also like the Prius V, though none of the Priuses are much fun to drive. It will give you excellent gas mileage, much better than most compact crossovers, especially in stop-and-go LA freeway driving. If you’re going to have a long or slow commute it could save you some money.