What car would you buy to drive Route 66?

The main reason to get an international driver’s license is that the police only have to be familiar with a few licenses rather than a few hundred. How does the police officer know that the license is real?

I think you’re right Waterbuff but I think there’s more. Without registering it anywhere (as on a drive-away registration) you wouldn’t be paying taxes on it, and Uncle Sam will only stand for that for so long. The purpose of that temporary registration is to get it to your destination and then register it there (and pay taxes there). I had that hunch and called the Burbank, CA CarMax and they weren’t sure, since it was a question they’d never heard before) but they were pretty sure it would have to be registered somewhere for them to take it. I asked what would happen if we didn’t do that, and they said they thought it would trigger some sorts of inspections beyond getting smogged, and possibly fees or fines. But the registration requirements in California sound about the same as in Chicago- prove your residency. All Chicago cars are on a 2 year emissions schedule, so that should carry over, but who knows if they would buy it.

Funny side note: I bought a car in Bolingbrook, IL two years ago. I didn’t realize I wasn’t in Cook County at the time, and paid whatever taxes they asked me to at the currency exchange when I bought it. Then last week I got a letter from the Cook County Assessor asking me to pay my 1% tax on the car. They have a blank for me to fill in the price I paid, and then I multiply by .01. (I forget what I paid for the car- does anybody here remember? Something with some zeroes, like $100, maybe $200…)

I don’t know jtsanders. The license I had looked like it was made by a teenager with a photocopier. No picture, just a signature. It was probably meant to be used in conjunction with my current license.

The only time I got pulled over was when I was driving a tiny car with 7 people in it in a Japanese typhoon. It was right hand drive, and the car was rated to take either two adults up front and two kids in back, or one adult in back. We had 3 in front and 4 in back. The car was right hand drive and I was the only one who could drive stick so I was nominated to drive it. The girl who owned it could drive stick but was freaked out that half the town was in her car. We were so jammed in there that the only way for me to shift was with my right hand crossing over my front but under my left knee, to be able to reach the shifter. The cop was alarmed at the overloaded car and pulled us over and was giving the owner the third degree and he was starting to buy the story, and then a huge bolt of lightning struck a tree about 50 feet from us and he told us to get out of there. And again, never looked at my international license.

Thanks, Docnick! I’m gonna broaden my search to look for that Pontiac. I’ll give them $300 for it! I’m sure it’s still going strong, but we’ll put aside some money in case it needs new tires by now.

Thanks, Waterbuff, looking into Driveaways right now. Will call around tomorrow- 3 outfits within 60 miles of here. Smart money is on them saying “20 years old? Foreigner? See ya.” But we’ll see. Another problem is people usually want their cars delivered pronto, but maybe anybody willing to risk having a stranger drive their car to save money would be willing to negotiate.

Folks here seem to like the Prius for car camping trips like that. Apparently the seats fold down and make a perfect platform for a sleeping bag. Plus the big rear window provides wide, clear views of the heavens.

Another idea, not as practical, last summer a journalist (Sam Glover, Practical Classics magazine) did something like that. He purchased a classic, an early 60’s Corvair on the East Coast – this was arranged prior – and drove it all the way to California, where he put it on a boat and shipped his Corvair back to the UK, where he still drives it now.

Your friend may have license plate problems by the way. In some states there are residency requirements before you can license a car.

It has been almost 20 years since I went on an 8600 mile cross country trip
with a short wheel base minivan with all the middle and rear seats out. I had AAA tripticks but I threw them out the second day. What I did use was their excellent state maps with the scenic route indicated by dotted lines. You might check and see if they still have those. I think he should have some roadside service plan anyway. If he has any interest in national parks, he should buy a one year pass.

The pass is well worth the price! And don’t just hit the big, well known national parks along the way, the national monuments are often under-appreciated gems.

In fact, a driving trip that focuses on visiting as many national parks and national monuments as possible is a great way to spend a summer! I know, having taken my mom on such adventures two summers.

You lost me.
Buying a car in IL would have to include current title and registration there. Then driving it to CA would mean it still has the current registration on arrival there. Selling it “as is” and letting the buyer deal with smog test and title & registration is the likely outcome.

1 Like

The problem is, without a permanent address here, I haven’t figured out how he can register the car in Illinois. The DMV won’t let him use my address. He would need something like a utility bill or a tax bill with his name and a local address on it, since he won’t already have a state ID. So the only way I’ve found to get him any kind of registration is the 30-day temporary drive-away registration- which is a bargain at $10, and no taxes to be paid, but would most likely come back to haunt him on the other end. It could be that he could sell it privately to somebody on craigslist there, but might possibly stick them with a registration nightmare- bad carma. Or maybe it would be no problem!? I don’t recall needing to show anything when registering a car other than my license and the title signed over to me.

Great idea, thanks! He’s going to have camping gear with him so he could go hike in and do overnights there. Not something you can do in Holland.

Great idea, oldtimer_11! Holy smokes, there is still a triple A office on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. Maybe we’ll go sign him up for a membership and he can come away with an armload of maps. But he’s a digital native, maybe would do it all on his phone… But, the roadside assistance plan is another argument for getting a $500 clunker- put it to the test!

I believe there are three levels of coverage (I currently have the middle one). Take a hard look at the most expensive one as it tows cars a fairly great distance and I believe, more tows, something that could come in handy while traversing wilderness.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

That’s going to be his biggest problem, unless he’s willing to sell it for scrap value.

In California I believe it is the sellers responsibility to get it tested and have a passing certificate in order to sell a car.

What often happens on car purchases at that price point is that they run and drive fine with no issue when purchased.

But that does not always last, and repairs will be needed due to a breakdown. Sometimes it happens soon after the purchase.

most important part of this trip would be making sure he has a working cell phone with a top cell phone provider. Breakdowns can happen anywhere, on any vehicle. being able to contact help would be a top priority for me.

Thanks again CSA! Maybe he could get a $50 car and a $300 AAA package and get towed all the way to LA in bits and pieces!

I got an international driver’s license when I was out of the US on business for an extended period. I got it from AAA, and it looked professional. IIRC, it was supposed to be presented with your regular license. It’s probably better to refer to it asa driver’s certification of license since all AAA did was check for a current driver’s license before providing their documentation.

Here’s an alternative I haven’t heard yet; Amtrak’s Southwest Chief. 43 hours from Chicago to LA. See the scenery from the dome lounge at 79 mph while enjoying a cocktail. Sleep in a real bed, meals in the dining car are included. All for a fare of 800 bucks.

1 Like

When I was 20 I could have bought a nice 1962 Corvette for $2,000 It would be the appropriate car for the Route 66 experience but not at all practical for your nephews needs.

1 Like