What car wax do you use?

Just curious, how long does it take you to wax your car? I mean after it is washed and ready to apply wax? My Corolla – using Rain Dance – takes about 15 minutes to apply the wax, then another 10 minutes to remove it once it dries, so 25 minutes total. My truck , it’s bigger, taller, and more complicated surfaces, so it takes about an hour.

@GeorgeSanJose

Then you must have lightning running through your veins . . . !

Because it takes me a LOT longer to wax ANY car

And I’ll bet lunch it also takes a lot of the other regulars a LOT longer than 25 minutes total time to apply and remove wax on a car

It depends on the car and how near you want to a perfect finish appearance. The early 90’s Corolla isn’t very tall, so can reach it all from the ground. And not much in the way of complicated surfaces to deal with. As long as the finish has got some wax applied, I say “good enough”. The whole process takes longer than 25 minutes, the initial washing can take 30-60 minutes depending on how much dirt and tar I need to remove before I can start waxing. And the waxing time, it’s not a continuous 25 minutes. I don’t remove the excess wax for several days. By that time it is turned to a sort of dust-like consistency so it takes no time at all to just wipe off.

Yeah wow. I usually allow an afternoon and into the evening for the whole job but that is washing, clay bar, machine polish, machine glaze, then finally wax. The interior is maybe another couple hours for shampooing etc.

Today, a new English student was in a class under my car port. We sit between the car and the pretil (a concrete bench by the door common in Mexico so you can sit and talk to visitors you don’t want in the house. Also, the young women of the family are allowed to sit there with their courting males under the door light. Of course, the pretil is usually located so sir Galahad can stand on it and unscrew the light bulb…). She started writing on my car with her finger. I finally explained to her that writing in marble dust on a car scratches the paint.

I added I didn’t care, because no one fully sees the paint on my car unless I need to drive newly weds from the church to their house. And, that only ever happened once around ten years ago.

I explained to her that people are all different. In Mexico where most people never owned a car until recent affluent years produced by the illegals sending money home, when a person gets a car they are so proud they wax and clean and many other things involving pride in their vehicle. To me, a car is transport, no more and no less. Any thrill of owning a car has long gone, except seeing the odometer run around again and again with minimal repairs. If the dust gets too thick, eventually it will snap off when I ‘miss’ a speed bump. Hee, hee. (Poor Bing!)

I forgot to mention that sometimes first time owners of a vehicle here take it to the priest and he blesses it for them. You can tell because you will see an obviously used car or pickup or truck with a big floral wreath wired on the front.

I think I remember @GeorgeSanJose saying once that he smear the wax on and for the most part lets nature take care of the rest :smiley:

For me, it takes longer. On a sedan (Camry/etc, probably the whole wash/wax takes 2-2.5 hours depending on how fast I move. The worst was the Mazda CX-9 with piano black paint. The car was huge and the paint would show the slightest imperfection. Now my bigger car is a Hyundai Tucson and it is dark colored but not black. So maybe an extra 15 minutes over the sedans just because I need a stool to do the center of the roof.

If I am in a bind and don’t have a lot of time, I do the lower half of the doors and the bumpers a bit faster/sloppy since they get less exposure to sun.

Hey, it’s your car. I have been re-thinking the validity of the re-education camp idea though. People that just can’t see the wisdom of wash, wax, repeat, would be sent to camp to be re-educated again.

Yeah I think George would let the wax sit for a couple days before wiping it off. Back in the early 60’s though the cars came with a coating of wax on them-I’m sure that’s what it was. My friend had to work after school at his dad’s Ford dealership cleaning the wax off the new cars. I made the mistake of mentioning the spider web scratches on a new '65 Thunderbird though that he worked on and thought he was going to kill me. It was hard to rub off I guess.

Actually I’m getting lazy. Its almost July and I have yet to do a driveway wash and semi annual wax and polish. So talk’s cheap.

How long does it take you folks to wax your car? I doubt it takes me more than 15 minutes to wash & wax the Corolla.

Now it takes an hour to wash the car, I think this is all fiction after all why does it take 3 months to rebuild a carburetor?

I find that it usually takes me ~2 hours to do a good job, thorough job when waxing the car.

The approach that I use is to wash it the night before, and then drive it into the garage.
The next day, while the paint is cool to the touch, and when I have the energy of a new day at my disposal, I take care of the waxing part of the procedure.

I also have learned to have a step-stool at my disposal for easy reaching of the entire roof area, and to have a folding chair to sit on while working on the lower door panels and lower fender areas.

How long does it take me?
10 minutes to apply to the top.
15 minutes to rest.
15 minutes to apply to the front.
15 minutes to rest.
10 minutes to apply to the sides.
15 minutes to rest.
15 minutes to apply to the rear.
15 minutes to rest.

Repeat to remove the wax.

@Nevada_545 writes regarding the claim it takes 1 hour to wash and 25 minutes to wax a Corolla …

all fiction … why does it take 3 months to rebuild a carburetor?

lol … That carb rebuild job on my truck, it isn’t completely finished yet … lol …

That’s about my pace too except I’ll wax and remove one section at a time, like roof, trunk and quarters, hood and fenders, and lastly the doors that I hate doing.

Fortunately for me, my roof is nonstop glass all the way from the bottom of the windshield to the bottom of the rear window. No roof to wax. :smiley:

Wash car and wipe dry:. 1beer
Wash car and vacuum interior: 2 beers
Wash and wax car: 4 beers
Wash, wax steam clean interior with Bissell Little Green Machine: entire 6 pack
I am too old to measure tasks in time. I measure in beer consumed.

When I was in 8th grade, my dad bought a faded maroon 1947 DeSoto coupe. It took me two and a half days to go over the car with rubbing compound, then Johnson’s Carnu cleaner and finally Simonize paste wax. If I had to do it today, it would be an entire case of beer (30 cans).