What car wax do you use?

@jtsanders I don’t know if is the same polymers that the Navy used. I don’t know if Meguires and Mothers use the same exact polymers. I am not a chemist.

OK, @kieth. I misunderstood your post then. It might be possible to look at the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for both products and see if the protective polymers are mentioned and the same.

@jtsanders I left the Navy (retired) in 1990. The wax we had was not Navy issue, it was a special purchase only for the JFK because it always had so many VIPs aboard, especially in foreign ports. I just remembered that it had crosslinked polymers in it and it could not be removed through normal scrubbing action. Steel wool with Ajax on a buffer did not faze it, it had to be removed with a special stripper.

I doubt the car waxes that use “cross linked polymers” are exactly the same as they do not appear to be that tough. I wish they were. But because the words “cross linked polymers” was on the label, I tried the Meguires Ultra Wax. I found it to be better than the older waxes that I had used in the past, but not as tough as that stuff we had on the JFK.

Well its back to the 50’s weekend in St. Paul so maybe I’ll swing by the Meguires booth and see about the polymers. I’m not afraid to spend money for a good wax but I don’t want one that’s going to cause a problem if any refinishing needs to be done.

I guess some people just don’t wash their cars or wax them and some don’t change their lawn mower oil. Some people think they waxed their car by selecting wax at the car wash. Its a free country, I just hope when they trade cars, they leave warning note for the new owners.

Just for fun I put (expensive car wax) in Google. They came up with something called Swizol international Devine that has two small jars in a case for $2800.00
There were more that proves some people have too much money.

Like I said, I’m not afraid to spend money for good wax but that’s a little too good for me. I wouldn’t wax either at that price.

Thanks guys.
Even if you don’t wax, at least spray wax the jambs and door shells where they meet the weatherstrips. It will keep the doors from sticking in the winter.

I used to always make it a point to do a through hand wash and wax at least once or twice a year. But as my cars aged and I worked a lot of overtime, procrastination took over. When the clear coat started peeling off I figured why bother anymore, I might end up taking off more paint.

Now that I’ve got a new car I’m gonna wash & wax it until it glows in the dark before I take it for its 1st oil change. Got a brand new can of nu finish in the back, new buffing towels, everything.

To be honest, spending an afternoon detailing my car is not what I’d consider a “fun” Saturday. I’d rather be driving it somewhere.

Edit to add: darn it when I post from my phone it takes out my paragraph breaks and crunches my post into one paragraph.

If the car looks great after 12 years without wax, what’s the harm?

Years ago my dad - he had some unusual ideas about car maintenance – he used a product called Collinite Insulator Wax to wax his truck. It’s not designed for cars, it’s for waxing high voltage insulators on electrical power lines, but somehow he decided to try it anyway. It was somewhat time consuming to apply and remove, but it seemed to work pretty good at protecting the paint. It seemed to last longer than what I use, Rain Dance, but the difficulty to apply made the Rain Dance a better compromise for lazy me.

http://www.sears.com/collinite-insulator-wax-liquid-pint-845/p-SPM7993403417?hlSellerId=34297&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM7993403417&kispla=SPM7993403417&gclid=CJbwhPPAq80CFVEIvAod3ToIXw

@Mustangman I don’t remember ever recommending that stuff - not that I think it’s bad, but I have no opinion on it since I haven’t used any products from Turtle Wax since I was a kid and dad made me wash and wax his car.

I usually recommend Meguiars products.

I live in the mountains at 5700 feet above sea level. The uV really chews things up. You should see older GM cars with the paint all fallen off.

My 2002 Sienna now put out to pasture due to Mexican laws sat in the sun for years. instead of wax I just let the marble dust (this is a quarry town) sit. Washing it off would probably scratch the paint since it is an abrasive.

AND, the dust and dirt attracts less attention of kidnappers, heh, heh.

In truth, I don’t care much. I do want reliable transportation but don’t care if it’s pretty.

Oops, that credit should go to @knfenimore for putting me onto Ice although @shadowfax was involved in the last discussion of wax and black plastic trim. My bad. Nonetheless, the stuff works really well on a car that doesn’t need, or recently had, a good clay-bar job.

Car wax is like exercise. What’s the best car wax??? “The one you use!” What’s the best exercise?? “The one you do!”

I’m with Joe & irlandes.
I haven’t waxed any daily driver type cars in several decades.
In my experience, waxing is only for pleasure of the driver- in driving a shiny car.
None of my cars have rusted out prematurely (body rust) or had paint flake off in all those years.
The only difference is the water sheets off my cars, does not bead up.
I’m OK with that.
YMMV

Some years back, Consumer Reports tested auto wax but it hasn’t published a test recently. Either there isn’t much difference in brands of wax or CR’s readers don’t wax their cars.

^^ I also think Consumer Report agreed the NuFinish’s claim as being the “once a year” car wax was almost true. I tried it once and did not like it, but might had been because my clear coat was already fading.

I’m closing my eyes and plugging my ears. Just can’t bear to hear about paint abuse.

I have never waxed my '87 Toyota pickup. It seems to have done okay.

“I also think Consumer Report agreed the NuFinish’s claim as being the “once a year” car wax was almost true. I tried it once and did not like it, but might had been because my clear coat was already fading.”

My clearcoat wasn’t fading, but I also didn’t like NuFinish.