"wet" battery?

I just scanned the parts store flyer that came with the paper and they have a battery tender on sale for “wet” or gel batteries. I know what the gel type is . . . do they simply mean by “wet” as a battery which has water in it? Never heard this expression before. Rocketman

The term “wet” means the battery has water/electrolite in the cells.

Tester

A “wet” battery means that battery acid is used. There are usually removeable caps on top to allow “topping off” if the battery acid is low or for checking the specific gravity to test the strength of the acid.

I’ve never heard batteries called “wet” before, either, but I think you’re correct. I doubt that gel batteries require a special type of tender.

The instructions for my battery tender don’t differentiate between battery types.

FYI http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-wet-cell-battery.htm

That’s what I thought . . . THANKS ALL! Rocketman

“Wet” = Flooded cell. The electrolyte is in liquid form.

Back in the early days of radio, a wet battery was a rechargeable lead/acid battery that could be used to power the tube filaments. Since this was messy and sometimes the battery acid would spill onto the carpet and burn a hole, a non-rechargeable “dry cell” was often substituted. Flashlight batteries were refered to as dry cells as opposed to automotive batteries that were called “wet” batteries.

A “wet” battery, like so many others have mentioned is a “wet-cell” battery, with liquid electrolyte. (water and sulfuric acid) A gel-cell is similar, but the electrolyte is “jellied”, and the battery is totally sealed.

A battery tender for a wet-cell battery would not necessarily be appropriate for a gel-cell, as gel-cells can be more easily damaged by overcharging or too rapid of charging. (the plates tend to warp and/or separate)