Weather checking ("dry-rot")

Can it be prevented without keeping the tires covered all of the time (rv’s). If so, what are some of the best products to use to do so?

Invested in some Michelin LTX for my p/u. Reported to have great tread life but then was told (after purchase and installation) that Michelins are prone to weather checking moreso than some other brands. I want to maximize my investment.

I’ve never considered tires as an investment.

You can cover the tires, you can apply tire dressing, you can do whatever you want, but the components of the tires will still age over time. Keeping them out of the sun seems to be the most helpful for prolonging tire life, but it’s hard to drive a vehicle that can’t leave the garage.

The general consensus these days is that tires last about 7 or 8 years, regardless of mileage, and they should be replaced at that age, even if their tread is not worn out.

You can buy into that theory, or not, as you see fit.

That is just a sign that the tires are too old. Replace the tires when you notice it.

Those problems are a sign that the tyres are too old. Time for new tyres. The rubber on the old ones is getting hard and will no longer provide the traction they once did. You will no longer be able to stop as quickly or perform an emergency maneuver as you would with newer tyres. They will also become more prone to failure.

All the stuff sold for them will not extend their life. It may make them look shinny and black, but under the shine there is the same age tyre. Other than staying out of the sun and away from ozone sources there is little you can do.

BTW there are manufacturing dates on tyres. I don’t remember the code, but often they are far from new when you buy them. It is a good idea to check that date and if over a year, I would reject the tyre.

Was the person who told you this trying to sell you something?

This is the first time I have heard anyone suggest that one brand or model of tire was more prone to weathering than any other tire.

I have used various models of Michelin for the past 30 years, and I have never noticed any appreciable weathering on any of them, but my cars have all been ‘daily drivers’ so while I have gotten up to 95k miles out of a set of tires, it only took 7-8 years to get that far.

I am no expert, but my understanding is that the surface of a tire will break down due to exposure to sunshine and to oxygen, and can be accelerated if you live where there is a lot of ozone in the air (metro area). Anything designed to seal our air and block UV rays should help preserve the tires, I suppose. I have never put anything on any tire other than soap and water.

I grew up on a farm where tires might be on an implement for 20 years or more, and I spent some time in a tire shop while I was in college. I have never seen a tire fail in a way that seemed related to surface cracking. I have seen failures that originated on the spot where the tire touched the ground (damp soil) when it was parked for an extended period.