Waxing Cars--substitute detailing?

I have always waxed my cars (Well, Nu-Finish) although infrequently. Their appearance holds up well. They are on a carport most of the time and my driving mileage is low. I am getting old, and finding it quite a trial to wax a car. I am wondering if I could substitute an occasional trip to a car-detailing place. Thing is I am not sure whether they use wax or just buff them to look shiny.
What do people think?

Gee , I guess you could ask the Detail Shop what they use and how they do it . Or you could pay a relatives kid to wax it for you .

They detail shop probably has multiple tiers of service, from a simple wash and wax to full ceramic coating and paint correction.

2 Likes

@wolyrobb’s got it right. Detail shops run the full range from a simple clean and wax to full-on paint correction and ceramic coat. Pretty much what ever you are willing to pay for.

Interior too.

Google “paint correction” and you’ll find (almost) a cult of pros and hobbyists devoted to brining a better than new shine to any car. Wax, clay-bar, with several steps of polish, the last being the finest and where the “correction” takes place and then wax or ceramic coating.

1 Like

Go to Auto Geek web site - there are spray waxes that are real easy to use - plus that site has more detail videos than a person really needs .

spray waxes don’t clean.

Yup. Better to pay someone than not do it at all.

Ideally you’re not supposed to wax a dirty car anyway. Waxing will, however, remove some oxidized paint.

They use wax, Several good brands out there. The detailer can decide once they see the paint how best to proceed. Every service i’ve checked uses a clay bar first on the paint and then applies the wax, buffing the paint afterwards.

What do you base that statement on ? Have you even tried a name brand spray wax ? You only wax once a year with Nu-Finish which does not really get higher rating than other good waxes . I wax twice a year and use a spray detailing by Mequiares (sic ) after washing vehicle .

Try Collinite 845. It is a wax but has the durability of a sealant.

A legitimate car detailing place will certainly wax your car if you want them to. That’s would be considered a very basic service. Keep in mind there is a difference between an automotive detail shop and a carwash. A detail shop doesn’t have a wash tunnel. Everything is done by hand. There are detailers that will come to you as well. The guy I use when I don’t feel like doing the work myself will come out, hand wash the car, claybar, polish, then seal the car, take the wheels off and clean/seal them, shampoo the carpet/seats (if cloth), clean the interior glass, and ozone the interior to get rid of any smells. He’ll also clean and dress the engine bay, and do some mild paint correction. The process takes about 3 hours with two people working. They go over what they are going to do and what products they will be using before they start.

1 Like

I’ve been washing and waxing my own vehicles for decades. Kinda mindless therapy. I also take pride in the accomplishment of a nice shiny new vehicle. I’ll basically do a good detail every spring. Probably not as good as a professional, but it’s pretty good. easily takes me 2-3 hours per vehicle.

Last year I used a new wax - Turtle Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Comes as a spray bottle or liquid paste. I used the paste. I’ve never ever had a wax that lasts as long. Easily 8 months.

I heard Meguiar’s is now making one a hybrid ceramic wax also. Maybe I’ll try that next…but I’m extremely impressed with the Turtle Hybrid Ceramix Wax.

It goes on a little harder then a normal paste wax…but well worth it. I remember back in the 70’s when I’d use the Blue Coral treatment system. That took forever…great job…but very labor intensive. Every spring I was thoroughly, then clay-bar…then apply the a wax.

1 Like

Remember everybody, it’s not the product I need to switch it’s the physical process
of application and removal that I am finding difficult. So I can pay them to do that.
I guess I will investigate prices.

Right now in my late 60’s I’m still physically able to do it…Who knows when I’m in my 70’s.

Well yeah, it’s not just having the physical ability to do it, but the inclination. This spring, it hasn’t even made my list yet of things to do. And the number of things that get crossed off every day/week keeps getting smaller and smaller. I’d much rather continue my computer AI and history coursework instead, but I’ll get to it sometime before winter.

Being in the same situation I understand where you’re coming from so this year I tried the new “spray and wipe” waxes for the first time and I have to say I’m very impressed.
No buffing, no white stuff residue, no sun/shade issues and easier per square foot than rinsing the dishes for the dishwasher.

Of course a full detail probably does a better job but you’ll lose the DIY benefit of inspecting and correcting any little paint problems before they become big problems. Fixing that barely visible paint chip or rough spot before it becomes obvious is a lot easier and cheaper than waiting until it becomes obvious.

But do they remove residual bug spots, stains, brake dust on wheels?
Nu-Finish does.

Bug spots and stains are removed when I wash vehicle , not when I wax . Wax is for a clean surface . As for wheels I use a brush made just for cleaning the wheels .

Something tells me you have been going about this wrong . I read a web article and they did not rate Nu-Finish any higher than most quality waxes.

But Consumer Reports does.
Due to my physical limitations, I use a drive thru wash which leaves residual stuff.