Washing the car

For the doubting Tomas’s here, suggest you do the experiment. Try the wax-left-on method with one of your older cars sometime, on just one section, treat the other sections as usual. I think you’ll be surprise how well it works. Definitely improved protection. No need to leave the wax on indefinitely, after a week or two, spray the car off with a hose to remove the grit and dust, let it dry a little, then wipe the remaining wax off with a towel. It’s easier to remove at that point , less wax to remove, b/c more of the wax you’ve applied has penetrated the finish. If anybody asks why your car looks so weird during those two weeks, say a flock of pigeons has taken to rousting on it … lol …

I’ve always used an easy to apply/remove wax called “Rain Dance”. My friend uses a Turtle Wax version. The Turtle Wax isn’t quite as easy to remove as Rain Dance, but it is still a pretty quick job.

Ok, enough of my bizarre theories for now. I’ll hold off telling you about my washing the car with dirt idea.

"less wax to remove, b/c more of the wax you’ve applied has penetrated the finish. "

I doubt it. Wax is a coating, that’s why it can be removed.

“less wax to remove, b/c more of the wax you’ve applied has penetrated the finish”

If the wax that somebody is using can actually penetrate the finish, I think that it would be more harmful than it would be beneficial. “Wax” is supposed to remain on the surface, in order to provide a barrier that prevents harmful stuff like bird poop and industrial pollutants from penetrating the finish.

@GeorgeSanJose ;
15 minutes !
I will challenge you to wash and wax my black Mazda CX-9 in an hour. WE have hard water, so drying the car off is PITA to begin with and the car being black doesn’t help at all. Then waxing this behemoth is another story, specially if I am not using liquid wax. I call it my meditation.

On a different note, I have a family, a 60-70 hr a week job, still make it to the gym 5 times a week and do wax all our cars at least 4 times a year.

Then there’s the old KOZAK cloth for a quick clean:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/817749/01443

@galant … hey! I’m not making any claims about how long it takes to wax Mazda’s … but I’ll give it to you, it was a good try for a free wax job for you car … and who said anything about drying it off? … that’s the sun’s job … lol …

Seriously, I don’t dry it off before putting the wax on, I just apply the wax on with the surface still somewhat wet from the washing and rinse. The wax goes on faster that way. And like I say above, I don’t wipe the wax off until a couple weeks later, at which time it is due for a hosing down anyway, so I’d be wiping it down with a towel then anyway, whether I had applied wax 2 weeks before or not…

Part of the reason the early 90’s Corollas don’t take much time to wax – besides my minimalist wax ideas – is the simple, compact body design, there aren’t a lot of nooks and crannies to contend with (as opposed to my truck). And the car’s roof is low enough to the ground there’s no need for a step ladder.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/toyota/corolla/1992/oem/1992_toyota_corolla_sedan_le_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

I have no problem with waxing without buffing on someone else car if you are pressed for time. I just don’t think it is ideal. Also, leaving a rough surface seems to enhance the ability to hold dirt which ultimatly scratches the finish. I think you get a thicker, and more constant finish without as many gaps in the coverage if you buff.

Just imagine the reaction a detail shop would get if they told a customer we waxed your car , come back in week and we will wash it off and wipe the car down. George , the wax container actually has instructions on it.

Good point Volvo, don’t go to a detail shop that tells you to come back in two weeks and they’ll finish the job … … lol …

@GeorgeSanJose;
I did have an ‘89 Corolla which is the same body style. Yes, simple body and plastic bumpers. The Mazda I have takes 3 times that to do. I am 6’ tall and still need a stool to do the roof.

Ah, the 89-93 Corolla, the Golden Age of cars …

Simple design inside and out, but w/electronic fuel injection.