Washing the car

no, NE
b

How many miles do you put on in 10 years?

"I don't think I lost a dime at trade time, because they are usually 10 years old at that time and sold for auction." Really? When my cars are traded in, they are re-sold by the dealership for...a very hefty price...since they look still look nearly-new even after 8-10 years. Of course, I do wax my cars twice a year, and I maintain them better than the mfr. specifies...

;-))

So perhaps I lost money.

120k in 10 years…if you never washed your car…depending on car - you lost THOUSANDS. I sell mine after 10 years also…but usually have well over 300k miles…and they are still valuable.

How long does it take you folks to wax your car? I doubt it takes me more than 15 minutes to wash & wax the Corolla. The truck takes quite a bit longer, but waxing the Corolla hardly takes any time at all.

I doubt it takes me more than 15 minutes to wash & wax the Corolla.

That’s a joke, right?

. Soap is the least of your worries. It’s the sunlight that is the real killer of finishes.

@insightful … no, I wash and wax the Corolla in under 15 minutes.

I’d have to see a video…

@dogosa … I always thought that sunlight was the biggest problem, and I try to park in the shade whenever possible for that reason. But a friend of mine has a newer (than mine) Corolla, 10-12 years old, and I don’t think that car is ever purposely parked in the shade. He keeps it outside in a treeless condo parking lot even when he could park in in his garage. He says he doesn’t like the hassle of backing out and dealing with the garage door.

His previous car, another Toyota I think, the finish on that car after 15 years was a total disaster. But I convinced him when he traded it in and bought the Corolla, to do nothing more than spray his car off with the hose once a week, and wax it twice a year. And the finish on his Corolla 10+ years later looks brand new. I see no sign of deterioration at all. Don’t know if it is the hose spraying, waxing, or that there’s a tougher type of paint being used these days.

@insightful … well, I didn’t say I did a good job. Not like I’d get w/a pro detailer! And that 15 minutes doesn’t include wiping off the excess wax after it dries. Why not? Because I leave it on! Seriously, my theory is the longer the wax in left on, the more likely it will adhere and penetrate the finish, giving better protection. So I leave the excess wax on for a week or two, then hose it down, let it dry. It takes a few more minutes then of wiping with a towel to remove the excess wax. That’s the wax method my friend with the Corolla above does too, on my advice. Seems to be working for him as well. We both agree we get some weird looks from other drivers in the wax-left-on interim … lol …

And that 15 minutes doesn't include wiping off the excess wax after it dries.

This explains so much…

;-]

@GeorgeSanJose

Because I leave it on! Seriously, my theory is the longer the wax in left on, the more likely it will adhere and penetrate the finish, giving better protection. So I leave the excess wax on for a week or two, then hose it down, let it dry.

And your theory is wrong. It’ll just look bad.

Sun is the greatest danger to paint finish. Wax does a good job protecting the paint from sun damage.

@GeorgeSanJose That was good advice. Though I think new cars are better, wax coatings are about the best thing to do for sunlight. I have carport and it’s much more convenient then a garage to keep the sunlight of the car. The absolute best thing to do for a car’s finish as far as sunlight is concerned is…move to Seattle or, just work the night shift.

"The absolute best thing to do for a car's finish as far as sunlight is concerned is.......move to Seattle or, just work the night shift."

I think it’s fairly obvious that the OP lives in The UK, where excessive sun damage is…not likely.
While it doesn’t rain constantly–contrary to what many Americans think–The UK also doesn’t get the many hours of intense sunlight that many areas of The US receive each day.

That comment was for @GeorgeSanJose George left the UK long ago.
Leave the wax un buffed ? Gee, and I though I had some strange ideas about cars. :wink: I would think that not buffing could catch a lot of dirt and that could scratch the finish later on. I would do that to a HUMVEE or car I planned to park on the streets of Boston. Maybe, spray motor oil on the finish, drive over a dirt road and let it look like it was already 25 years old. I think it’s pick on George time !

I used to frequently wash and wax my cars all the time.

Then I got busy with other stuff (primarily family) and stopped waxing my cars 27 years ago. I think I only did 2-3 washings total in all those years as well.

I never looked back or regretted it a bit.

Hmmm maybe I’ll wash mine today.

I use the drive through touch less car wash with the spray on wax about once a month or two or…It works for me. I live on a dirt road and could never keep up otherwise.