Warranty/Insurance

+1
I also recall such a device.
There was also something called the Kozak Kloth back in the '60s & '70s which claimed to be able to clean one’s car w/o water.

1 Like

The brushes, sometimes referred to as ‘California Car Dusters’ ( which might be a brand name) are still widely available. Wax impregnated cotton strand brushes. Though I think these would be best used only for dusting, such as cars that are garage kept. Would not use in place of washing a dirty car.

If I remember correctly the brushes were Kozak Dry Wash brushes.

I don’t understand piston 4 running faster than the others. The rpm of all the pistons connected to the same crankshaft has to be the same as the crankshaft. A bent rod would decrease the piston speed not increase it.

I don’t understand someones assertion that a piston can’t be pulled out from the bottom. For years the 4 cylinder Offenhauser engines used in Indy and sprint cars had no heads. Even valve work had to be done from the bottom.

My 2012 Toyota has been wonderfully reliable, but I have never been lied to as much by any other car dealership than the dealer I bought it from. It seems to be ingrained in their culture.

All the years I bought Chrysler products, I never had a bad dealer experience, especially with warranty work.

By contrast, the only REALLY bad dealer experience that my father ever had was with a Plymouth dealership.

It was run by two brothers (one was the sole salesman, the other one was the sole service person), and I was with my father on more than one occasion when he brought the car to them for a warranty-related repair. The standard response from the so-called service brother was “are you threatening me?” if you mentioned that this was the second or third time that the car was there for the same complaint. My father was always a gentleman, and he absolutely was NOT threatening that nut.

We actually filed a complaint with Chrysler, on the corporate level, but never received a response, and the two crazy brothers continued to operate their dealership for several more years. Because of their totally unsatisfactory attitudes, we began using the local Esso station for maintenance and repair, and when he was in the market for another car 3 years later, my father bought a Ford instead.

But, I have to say that as bad as that Plymouth dealership was, at least it was better than the Mafioso (no, I am not kidding) brothers who ran the Datsun dealership in an adjoining town. Those creeps actually threatened bodily harm to their customers if they came in for warranty-related repairs, and–trust me–Datsuns in the '60s had a LOT of warranty-related issues.

Just like Chrysler, the Datsun corporate folks never had the courtesy to respond to my brother’s letter of complaint, and the two brothers in the shiny suits managed to keep operating their sleazy business for many more years.

3 Likes

It’s all about the character of the people, not the car companies they represent.

4 Likes

My son in law did an oil change for a friend of his that was leaving on a trip overseas and had left the car with my son in law. After he changed the oil and started it up, the oil looked like a milkshake. It was a loaded 92 Dodge Grand Caravan. I advised my son in law to call the nearby Dodge dealer where it was purchased and give them The VIN and mileage and see if it was still in warranty. It was , but only by about 200 miles and a few days. The owner could not be contacted. That was explained to the Dodge dealer and when he got home he was greeted with a van with a new head. and new fluids. It cost him about $200, $100 for using the powertrain warranty and about $100 for fluids.

3 Likes

That has the appearance of a Chrysler Service Contract, $100 deductible and the customer pays for fluids. The factory warranty had no deductible.

I knew a few dealerships like those.

My first Datsun I bought was from this sleazeball company…I had 2 dealings with the service manager and I almost picked him up and threw him threw a window. He was a total sleaze.

A few years later they got busted for tampering with the OD on vehicles and lost their license to sell cars and also their Datsun franchise.

Well he’s retired now so gets free parking.

@bing. You are correct. I do get free parking with my emeritus pass. However, the parking areas where I am allowed to park are a good distance from the library, the football stadium or the basketball arena or the auditorium at the university.
I am thankful I still enjoy good health and enjoy the walk

1 Like

@Triedaq
You will continue to enjoy good health because you walk!

A couple of summers ago, I was taking my usual power-walk in the beautiful and idyllic Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park. My turn-around point was at a parking area, and a young woman standing near the park entrance stopped me to ask a question.

What did she ask me?
She gestured toward the cool, green oasis and the glistening canal with ducks and other water fowl, and with a semi-sneer on her face, she asked, “If I walk in there, is it ALL like this?”.
I responded that–yes–she would be walking on a path through a quiet, forested area with an abundance of non-threatening wildlife. When I could tell that this was not what she wanted to hear, I added, “About one mile ahead, there is a pedestrian bridge that takes you over to a magnificent rose garden”.

Clearly, this was not what she wanted to hear because her next statement was, “A mile? I don’t even want to walk down my driveway to my mailbox!”.

Rather than continuing to waste my time with somebody who apparently wanted something other than what existed, I cheerily bid her farewell, turned on my heel, and continued the remainder of my 3-4 mile power-walk.

While I hope that this young woman can enjoy good health as she ages, I have to say that I am not optimistic about her chances if she continues to be so lazy.

@VDCdriver. One of the more depressing things to me is the condition of our young people. In bad weather, my wife and I go to the basketball arena and walk our three miles around the concourse of the basketball arena. There is a walking exercise class for college students. Some of these young people really struggle to make a mile. They couldn’t begin to keep up with Mrs. Triedaq and me.
I do have to admit that I didn’t have a healthy life style in my younger years. I smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day. I was on $40 worth of prescription drugs a month. What is really strange was that I was underweight. This was back in 1972 when $40 was a big dent in our budget. I got up one morning and decided this was no way to live. I threw the cigarette pack in the garbage and flushed the medicine down the toilet. I signed up for a physical fitness program. A stress test proved I could handle it. At the beginning of the program, I could only run 3/4 of the way around the basketball court. I made it my goal in the 10 week program to be up to running a mile. I exceeded my goal–I made it to 1 1/2 miles. Within six months after the program ended, I was running 2 1/2 miles five days a week. I never felt better. Some years ago, I developed a heel spur and couldn’t run the distance, but I now walk 3 miles a day five days a week at a good pace.

+1
When I am on my power-walks, I usually leave the few younger people in the dust.
But, I guess that it might not be possible for them to walk any faster while carrying-on spirited cell phone conversations… :roll_eyes:

It sounds like we are on a very similar exercise regimen.
:+1:

Careful, guys

If you keep on this track, you’ll be sounding just like our regular with the condo in Florida that we haven’t heard from in awhile now

I’m surprised Carolyn hasn’t shut us down already, considering we’ve strayed far off the designated path

I hope she’s just on vacation and hasn’t been furloughed or anything like that

They’re still considering furloughs at my job, but so far everything’s pretty good

1 Like

Let’s not exaggerate, my friend. :wink:

Triedaq and I are fortunately able to maintain a very good walking pace, even at our advanced ages.
By contrast our “friend” from Florida claimed to be rivaling Tour-de-France competitors on a daily basis. :smirk:

In any event, I blocked him a few months ago, so I wasn’t even aware that he is among the missing.

I didn’t block him, but he hasn’t been active on this website in quite a few months now

annoying as he can be, I hope he’s healthy in the land of the alligators

yup, that’s a golf ball

1 Like

I have to find out what kind of vitamins Mrs. Triedaq is putting in your food.

3 Likes

old_mopar_guy,
I have to find out what kind of vitamins Mrs. Triedaq is putting in your food.

That makes two of us who need’s to know.

Hi db. Not furloughed. Didn’t need to shut it down, because until a day ago, this convo had been hibernating for two months. :slight_smile:

2 Likes