Warped Rotors

If you were trying to just help the op…then why the comment about how good or bad Tom and rays mechanical ability is. That doesn’t sound like help to me.

If you’re going to make comments like that. Then expect to be questioned.

"If you were trying to just help the op…then why the comment about how good or bad Tom and rays mechanical ability is. That doesn’t sound like help to me. "

See, this is how I know that you’re just ornery - either that or just dense.

From the OP’s original post: “I sure hope the answer is from Tom and Ray.”

It seemed pretty reasonable to me to assure the OP that perfectly good info could be gotten here even if it isn’t from the heroic Tom & Ray. If you don’t bother to read the posts then don’t put up meaningless and needless comments. At this point you’re just being ridiculous.

Who would dare insult Tom and Ray? We love Click and Clack, the tap-dancing Malakowski brothers. Their legal people, Dewey, Cheatam & Howe beat mine. Black & Decker just can’t match them. Tom and Ray may not be the Michaelangelos of auto repair but they are definitely the Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. “You Ain’t Got the Right” to say bad things about them. “Sylvia’s Mother” told me to behave. Hope they don’t go “Belly Up”.

The advice they gave on the radio show one time to a caller was the last time I ever tuned in. A caller asked why his car had a squeal sound when they first turned the A/C on, and keep in mind this was on an older V-belt equipped car.

Of course my first thought is loose or worn belt, especially with a V-belt model. T and R spent 10 minutes telling this person the compressor was seizing up and never once mentioned the belt scenario.

While the show may be entertaining to a point, examples like the above always made me wonder about what happened with callers later.
It’s doubtful the caller is yucking it up if they went and spent hundreds or thousands of dollars repairing a non-existent problem.

It’s also doubtful that a shop will yuck it up if they examine or repair a car that was diagnosed by T and R and determine that the fix is much more complicated and pricy than what the caller was expecting, followed by the caller then accusing the shop of trying to rip them off “because T and R said…”.

The latter would be no different than that Car MD example I posted about the Honda and O2 sensor.

Many of the people on this discussion board are much better mechanics than Tom & Ray

And how is the above comment have ANYTHING to do with…

“I sure hope the answer is from Tom and Ray.”

I suggest you re-read the posts…All I did was ask a question. I do get p*ssed when you accuse me of something which I never did. You comment about being a better mechanic then tom or ray sounded like bolstering…NOT helping the OP out.

In answer to your question of how long you can drive on warped rotors, you can drive on them until they are worn out or until you get sick of the annoyance of driving on them, whichever comes first. I had a new set of NAPA rotors warp almost immediately on my old Volvo and I drove on them for 75k miles. After a while, it becomes part of the car’s personality (not the most endearing part).

However, since your description of the symptoms suggests that there may be something else going on, so you should have another mechanic take a good look.

It is perfectly obvious how my comment had EVERYTHING to do with the OP’s post.

I accused you of NOTHING.

I never stated that I am a better mechanic than the brothers. In fact, it was all specifically worded to refer to OTHERS.

But I apologize for challenging your delusions and creating some kind of crisis of irrationality. At you next appointment discuss with your therapist the need to review your medication regimen.

At this point, I can’t believe I’ve spent any time arguing with such irrationalities. So post what you wish. I am done.

Hey, Tom and Rays repair advise is much better than their driving advise.

Yes, your brake rotors are warped.

As with any brake issue, you should have the problem resolved as quickly as possible.
What you ultimately want to ask is “What caused the rotors to warp?”

Typically, its either a bad brake caliper, or seized sliders for the caliper.
I would recommend having the parts replaced at the same time as the rotors and brake pads are replaced.

BC.

If the steering wheel vibrates I always check tire wear, tire pressure and if the lug nuts are loose. Check tire balance and for mud on the inside of the wheel.Check for damaged or bent rims.

Then I check the steering and suspension components.Check Wheel bearing"play".

If all the above is good, then I check rotor run out. If run out is too great I machine the rotors and check thickness specifications,If they don’t pass, I replace the rotor.

High temperature grease is applied on the sliding friction tabs, top and bottom, of the brake pads, and the backside of the brake pads{metal backing}

Wheels should be torqued to specs. Road test and break in pads with 20-30 easy light slow downs and stops.

I tip my hat to T&R’s ability to make a good living doing what they do…which is largely entertainment. I should be so saavy.

Regarding the shaking, others are correct that there are actual measuring methodologies, tests, and chassis component checks that are in order here to ascertain the actual cause(s) of the shaking.

These include that already mentioned dial indicator that checks and measures the actual amount of lateral movement of the rotor surfaces as the rotor turns.

They also include an inspection of the wear characteristics of the tires and if indicated a “road force balance” check for internal anomolies. That’s a fancy spin balance wherein a simulated road force is applied to the tire with a spinning drum.

And they include checking the condition of the artuculated joints that allow the suspension to work and the front wheels to steer…both simultaneously.

And they include checking the struts…how many miles do you have on this buggy?

Since the shaking occurs when you take your foot off the gas rather than when braking, I’d be inclined to suspect a worn chassis component before a warped rotor. But, as I said, there are actual ways to check these things. A good shop doesn’t need to guess. They can test. And they certainly should not rely on our internet guesses. We’re not in a position to do the proper diagnosis.