Warming up my 91 Celica

I have a 1991 Toyota Celica GT. It runs great. However, I have to let the car “warm up” for about 5-10 minutes (longer in the winter) before I drive it.

When I first start the engine, it idles very loudly, but after it warms up, the noise subsides. If I don’t do this, there is a noticeable lag in acceleration for the first 5-10 minutes or so when I’m driving. Why is this??

Elliot

I suspect there are other symptoms as well and that you have left these out of your report. Temperature gauge not working, black smoke out the exhaust, sludge in oil, goodness knows what else.

If you do insist that your car is perfect in every other respect, tell us the last time you replaced the spark plugs and ignition wires.

Steve’s response may have seemed harsh, but it is really valid. Without more information we are only guessing.

So do give us more to go on and I suggest you have the car checked to see if there are any error codes stored in the computer. Some places like Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts will do this for free.

It may be as simple as getting a basic tune-up or it may be something like a sensor that could be cheap and easy.

DATA needed.