Want a new Camry?

If you do, the last year for a non-hybrid Camry is 2024. Starting in 2025 it will only be offered as a hybrid. I’m not commenting on which you should buy and Toyota owns the hybrid market. They must be doing something right.

Toyota also said that they aren’t keen on building BEVs at this time, suggesting that customers are too wary of them. While that may be true to some extent, I suspect that as long s they have excellent hybrid sales they won’t move into the BEV market heavily. That does seem to give those automakers invested in the BEV market an even bigger head start. Anyway, here’s an article discussing it.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/15/business/toyota-camry-hybrid-only/index.html

Toyota’s working on their alternate EV battery chemistry. Meanwhile, I bet we’d be better off, CO2-wise, with the available batteries spread out in hybrids rather than putting 1000 - 3000 pounds of them in EVs.

1 Like

+1, +1, +1

I can’t upvote that enough. Hybrids make more sense. And Toyota makes very good ones.

If you want the ability to EV your way to the store or work and back, increase the battery size and PHEV your way along.

1 Like

+1
Today, my 2022 Lexus 450h+ PHEV is at the dealership for its first 10k oil change, plus a service campaign, plus the installation of a dashcam. My loaner car is a 2024 NX 350H, which is a hybrid–albeit not a plug-in hybrid like my vehicle.

Overall, it is very familiar, it accelerates the same way that my vehicle does, but–like all “regular” hybrids–its battery range is limited in terms of both distance and speed. My loaner car has–so far–given me 36.2 mpg, whereas my mostly-similar Lexus NX plug-in hybrid produces 42-70 mpg in hybrid mode, and it uses zero gas when it is in EV mode, which is most of the time.

In any event, Toyota/Lexus hybrids (whether “regular” ones or PHEVs) are extremely reliable vehicles, and unless the driver is actively monitoring the instrument panel, it is not easy to determine whether one is driving in HV mode or in EV mode.

Toyota seems to have mastered the hybrid concept, and other manufacturers seem to be behind the proverbial 8 ball in comparison when it comes to their hybrids.

1 Like

A guy I work with wife just bought a new Toyota Crown. Nice car. It’s the Avalon replacement. Sit’s higher than the Camry (or my wifes Lexus ES-350). Same platform as the Venza and Rav-4. Only comes as a Hybrid and AWD.

There’s so many Toyota hybrid’s now that you can choose the body style that suits your needs. Some prefer the Camry Hybrid while others find the Venza easier to get into. Mom’s had her Prius for a little over 14yrs and I have to remind her that the winter MPG that’s lower than the rest of the year is stil what her 78 Diesel Rabbit got on it’s best day,

1 Like

I rode to the airport this morning in a Camry hybrid taxi. Nice car. It’s quiet, all I heard was tire noise. The back seat is roomy and comfortable. This seems like a good solution for a taxi and the driver can probably get a whole day of driving before having to refuel.

1 Like

My brother and SIL have a 2021 Toyota Avalon hybrid, which is largely identical in its mechanical and electronic details to the Camry. They really like its quietness, its good ride quality, its fuel economy, and its excellent assembly quality. The only thing that they don’t like is its seat comfort.

That’s why I didn’t buy an Avalon in 2017. The driver’s seat back was uncomfortable after 15 or 20 minutes.

Yeah, unfortunately their test drive was too brief. They are going to trade it in, very likely for an NX 450h+, which is what I drive. They both like the NX’s seat comfort and its fuel economy, and he was astounded at how fast it is.

1 Like