VW Thing - would this be crazydumb?

Another thing to keep in mind with an alleged problematic VW is that these cars have aged and over the years have had an assortment of owners.

With air-cools everybody thinks they’re a mechanic and many problems are not the fault of the car, but are instead caused by people (both owners and shops) who don’t know the quirks or get ham-fisted with them.

(Example. Cylinder heads and block studs. Many people go into them and just can’t believe the specs can be right when it says 18 Ft Lbs of torque on the cyl. head nuts so they ram them on down, which leads to loosened studs, leaking heads, poor performance, etc.)

If you can handle basic mechanic chores then you can handle one of these vehicles with manual in hand.
I used to have both a '61 and '65 40 HP Bugs. Drove those cars all over creation and got 41 MPG doing it. They were fun to drive (slow on the hills though) and reliable. Even drove the '61 through the worst flood we’ve ever had here one night. Chugged right along with the headlights under water and bubbling out the back. It would float in the deeper areas but once it hit pavement again it would just keep going with never a sputter.
The only reason I even sold them is because someone would see them in the drive, stop, and offer me far more money than I even gave for them.

My thing has been repaired and upgraded at times. With the 1.6 L motor of a Combi it runs like hell but letting a Latin wife drive while taking a midnight nap was a mistake. With much help from local folks I got it out of a high Sierra ditch in Jalisco but it was hard work because the beast weighs. My solution was to never again let a Girl drive me again and have the front fender re-emplaced in original military style with a manual chain winch. This car is versatile, practical and funny but not designed for Dolls!

Congratulations that your thing has been repaired. I bet your wife is very happy…

Why are you resurrecting an 8 year old thread?

The thread is nine years old. I’m guessing that the OP has made his decision by now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A few days ago I was trying to explain that concept regarding gold. Diamonds and gold have some actual value for industrial use. Otherwise… A few times I have accidently made a little money on cars but I never expected it.

Presumably for the same reason that he emphasized many times the outdated attitude that women are incapable of the manly art of driving – he’s stuck in an ancient-history time warp!

I worked at a Volkswagen dealer when these cars were brand new. A fellow employee bought a new one. It was a fun vehicle.

I’d buy this used one if I felt like another project was needed.

I guess I’d better pay attention the “freshness date” on these posts or I’ll waste even more time.

This discussion originated too long ago!
CSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIKwZhF7yrY