VW may have been lying about something else

VW has said the problem can't be fixed on US cars with just a software change. The 'test mode' gave great emissions, but apparently doesn't work well in real driving, power and economy wise.

@texases has it right. The software was able to determine if the vehicle was being tested and then switched to test mode. But didn’t work for real driving conditions. When in real conditions the test mode was turned off. From what I’ve read…if it was left in test mode when driving…there were some conditions that would make the vehicle almost undrivable.

I remain curious how they determined the car was in test mode. B/c the way the cars are tested varies state to state, and even differs within the same state. And it varies depending on the age of the car, and what the prior test result was. The test could range from a simple OBD II query, to a full-scale treadmill and emissions probe in the tail-pipe test. For a treadmill test, that would be easy to determine by the wheel speed sensors. But the others, not so clear how they’d make the determination.

The German government has announced a recall for ALL VW and Audi diesel cars in that country. This is something very major and will likely cost a princely sum.

You mean annual state testing in some states after the initial certification testing by the feds? So you think some of the states should have caught the problem if they were on the ball? Maybe good question. Of course not all states test, like Minnesota.

I have not seen a single dead person fill out an accident report.

@“oldtimer 11” But soon ads will air that say if you were KILLED or injured call now to file a lawsuit. :slight_smile:

True dead people don’t need to file the accident report but the executor does need to do it. Same as filing the tax return and all of the other little things that need to be done at someone’s death. Just being dead doesn’t get you off the hook although the penalties are limited.

Dead people vote all the time, so filing a lawsuit shouldn’t be too much of a problem

All kidding and jokes aside . . .

When my father passed away, my older brother was the executor. My father passed away in January, after being diagnosed several months earlier. This wasn’t this past January, but many years ago. Anyways, several months later, well into the next year, actually, my brother filed our late father’s tax return. The sad thing, was that he had to file 2 tax returns for our late father. One for the year in which he became ill. And one for the next year in which he actually died. He only lived a few weeks of that year, but it was enough to require a tax return be filed

There were actually a few instances, where my brother was legally required to sign off on some stuff . . . but sign with our late father’s name, not his own. It was a very sobering thing to watch

To keep this car related . . . one of the things my brother had to sign off on, using our late father’s name, was paperwork related to a car. A car which we actually shipped to my location, and I drove it for several years afterwards

Sometime around 1:00 this AM, I saw a TV ad urging owners of diesel VWs (and Audi 3s) to phone a law firm regarding the collection of damages for the decreased value of their cars.

Sometime around 1:00 this AM, I saw a TV ad urging owners of diesel VWs (and Audi 3s) to phone a law firm regarding the collection of damages for the decreased value of their cars.

Why am I sort of surprised it took even this long, before the lawyers started the “feeding frenzy”?

Guy I work with owns one and he’s been contacted by two different lawyers about bringing a class-action lawsuit. He’s heard NOTHING from VW.

I’ve seen those ads in Baltimore, too.