Vw cabriolet brake and blinker light problem

I HAVE AN 87 VW CABRIOLET THATI AM HAVING ISSUES WITH. THE HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS WORK AND THE REVERSE LIGHTS, BUT I HAVE NO BLINKERS AT ALL AND NO BRAKE LIGHTS. I HAVE REPLACED ALL FUSES AND CHECKED ALL THE BULBS, AND REPLACED HAZARD SWITCH BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT WORKING ORIGINALLY EITHER. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE OF THESE BEFORE AND AM GETTING VERY FRUSTRATED. IT IS MY DAUGHTER’S FIRST CAR AND SHE CANT EVEN DRIVE IT. PLEASE HELP:(

Have you had the brake switch on the brake pedal tested, and the turn signal switch tested as of yet? If both of those are bad, then the brake lights and turn signals won’t work.

Also, another possibility could be the ignition switch.
When they go bad, they can cause all sorts of gremlins in the electrical system.

BC.

yes i have tested all switches. also forgot to add that when the car is turned of and you turn the light switch on there are no headlights only running lights. i tested all the wires and they all said they were good.

Your test with the vehicle off and not having headlights is an early VW peculiarity, it is supposed to light only the running lights and not headlights…this will save your battery bec you cant leave the headlights on without the key…it was designed that way…so dont sweat it.

Sometimes a bad Hazard light blinker module/relay can cause funny things like this to happen. DO your hazard lights work? See if you can swap that blinker relay out, theyre cheap. I think you may find something there…

Already switched it out cause they weren’t working either. I am stumped, tired and confused

First thanks for turning off the ALL CAPS. Regular case is a lot easier to read.

I would suggest changing out either bake light, assuming you have one light that functions as a running light AND as a brake or turn signal lamp.

LOL…Stumped Tired and Confused? Welcome to electrical system Diagnosis and repair. Take a deep breath…this isnt as hard as it seems

FIRST…check the brake light switch for proper voltage and if the switch makes and breaks continuity properly… THEN…find the brake light wire and if it has no power (find out why) and then feed it your own 12V power source…your lights should light up…IF NOT then you need to verify your ground connection at the tail lights…make or run your own ground to them…They should light up…they HAVE TO light up…if the bulbs and sockets in the tail lights are functioning.

You can even do this at each tail light assy…one by one…feed it 12V until you get brake lights.

I just thought of another thing…dont VW’s have sone type of circuit board out in the back of thew car for the tail lights on both sides? Look into this also…I seem to recall some type of board back there.

When all else fails…GET THE BOOK…it costs like $15 bucks and has ALL of your wiring diagrams and connections in plain view…VERY HELPFUL HERE…

With the advice I gave you, you should be well on your way to having brake lights again via the pedal… GO FOR IT…YOU CAN DO IT.

1 Like

which book are you referring to, i am having light issues as well

Got lights to work, now I’m noticing my reverse lights stay on. Any ideas? Googling gives me no help as I’m trying to find the location of the reverse light switch or upshift switch on Manaul transmission.

I am not to familiar with VW’s but I think The reverse light switch is a 2-wire sensor located on the top of your transaxle (transmission) from what I have read.