Volvo vs Saab

I am thinking of selling my 2002 V70 Cross Country at 139K miles before I have to sell my soul to maintaine it, what do people think about a used, 2005-2007, Saab wagon?

I forget, which model Saab comes in a wagon? As far as CR’s concerned, the 9-3 and 9-5 are typically worse than average to average, reliability-wise. GM is planning to sell Saab, but it’ll be around.

The Old debate…

Ford vs GM.

Ford owns Volvo and GM owns Saab.

I am not familiar with the Saab model(s) in question. I have noticed, however, that everyone I have ever known who owned a Saab remembers it fondly and describes it in glowing terms, but they did not buy another. My micro-survey makes me cautious.

Why would you want to go from bad to worse. I had a Saab and I loved it but it was a money pit. I have switched to Honda and I’m very happy. I will never buy a VW or Saab again. I can say this because I have owned more than 1 vehicle from those makes. I guess I was young and stupid and kept going back for more.

I believe either a Saab or a Volvo would be a money pit for maintenance, long before they reach the 139,000 mile mark. I don’t think the mileage of your Volvo is a reason to get rid of it. I would wait until it reaches 200,000 miles.

The Saab 9-2 wagons were rebadged Subaru Impresszas with the ignition key moved to the center console. The 9-7 wagon were rebadged Chevy Trailblazers with the ignition key moved to the center console. There?s the 9-5 wagon which is probably a rebadged GM sourced ?something? with the ignition key moved to the center console? Take your pick!

Wrong on ignition key in 92, 97 you are right, and very wrong on 9-5.

9-5 is a pure dated Saab design before GM took the reigns.

The 06 is average reliability and 07 95 are above average reliability. A great choice with incredible depreciation for a decent used car albeit a dated design beneath the styling changes.

Nope, per wiki:
GM2900 platform Manufacturer General Motors
Production 1988?2007
Successor GM Epsilon platform
Class Mid-size (C/D) platform
General Motors introduced the mid-size front-wheel drive GM2900 platform in 1988 with the introductions of the Opel Vectra A and the Vauxhall Cavalier Mk.3 for the 1989 model year. The platform was intended to replace both division’s J-cars, the Opel Ascona C and the Vauxhall Cavalier Mk.2, although the platform eventually branched out to Holden, Chevrolet’s Latin American branch, and even Saab and Saturn. The GM2900 platform was replaced by the Epsilon platform in 2003, although Saab continues to use the platform for its 9-5 model, which will be switched to the Epsilon 2 platform in 2009.

Based on history, the future doesn’t look like a Saab reliability zone. I would bet on a twilight zone. You might even get a Bradbury story out of it: The October Engine. Something Weak This Way Wanders.

You heard abvout going from the frying pan in to the fire? Both ar short lived money pits! If you want a wagon that is not a money pit, buy a Toyota Matrix, Honda CRV, Scion, Mazda 3 Sport, or, if you want lots of space, a Ford FLEX. The Matrix will run forever with minimal upkeep.

The Toyota Matrix, Honda CRV, Scion, Mazda 3 Sport are all smallish economy cars that cannot approach the comfort level of a Saab or Volvo simply based on size. Not even comparable and they lack cargo and passenger room in comparison.

2005+ Legacy/Outbacks are decent in reliability average to above average and comfortable nice cars. Other choices are Mazda 6 wagon.

9-3 & 9-5 are both Saab proper.

If the car is maintained properly as you go then it should need little or nothing now.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s nothing wrong with a SAAB or a Volvo. Any opinions expressed by publications such as CR are strictly subjective and as per the usual with any complaint about a car, there is usually an unknown story behind that complaint. “What, me abuse or neglect my car? Never!”

I’ve skimmed over complaint boards on SAABs in the past and have gotten more than a chuckle out of many of those complaints about “junk SAABs”.

“…the cupholders are horribly designed”.

“car won’t hold the turns”…on half worn out tires it appeared.

“SAABs USED to be a very good car until GM bought them out a couple of years ago”.
(obviously not knowing GM has had a stake in SAAB for well over 30 years)

“…don’t understand why SAAB can’t build a good transmission”. (Utter bunk. Their transmissions are near bullet-proof and Borg Warner builds many of them.)

Yada, yada, yada.

(For what it’s worth and speaking as a tech, I can tell you that over quite a few decades about 95% of the engine and transmission problems I’ve repaired (any make)have been due to negligence or abuse; although those terms are a bit interchangeable.
Since a transmission can be a “car killer” economically speaking, consider this. Your Volvo has 139k miles and if it has an automatic it should have had 4 transmission fluid changes already. If not, negligence will likely be the cause if the transmission drops; not the badge on the car.)