Voltage stabilizer

where is the voltage stabilizer on my 85 vw?

In most modern cars, the voltage REGULATOR is built into the alternator…

You must mean the voltage regulator. It is part of the alternator; is mounted on the back and is attached with two screws. You can remove it to check the slip ring follower lengths. The slip ring followers (brushes) are part of the regulator subassembly. I wish that I had a minimum length spec for you but I don’t.

The voltage stabilizer is a componet that drops the 12 volts to 5 volts or so and sends that voltage to the tach,fuel gauge, turn indicator and oil pressure. I can see the voltage regulator.

The voltage stabilizer is a componet that drops the 12 volts to 5 volts or so and sends that voltage to the tach,fuel gauge, turn indicator and oil pressure. I can see the voltage regulator. It is in the wiring diagram also.

Hmm, I don’t remember one on my '83 GTI. Do you have a Bentley manual? Worth getting one. It should answer your question.

You are talking about a secondary voltage regulator designed to supply the instruments with a constant voltage. It’s usually a single three wire chip on the instrument cluster circuit board…The size of a postage stamp or smaller…

Bentley manual?

Yes, they’re the best manual (outside of a factory manual) you can get for VWs. Best $60 you can spend:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/vw/cabriolet/1985-1993/VW-Scirocco-Cabriolet-1985-1993-Repair-Manual.html

Thank you. I was hoping that it was under the hood. I did see a picture of one and it’s hard to tell the size. I’ll start in the morning to remove the i/c. Have a great night.

Caddyman is correct; the volt. stabilizer is also called a pitchfork and is on the back of the instrument cluster.

Does this mean both the temp and fuel gauges are inoperative?

And on the offchance the pitchfork is bad and considering that it can’t be had at the car parts stores and may be pricy at the dealer you can consider this. It’s also available in a fixed model.

You can buy a 7805 voltage regulator at your local electronics parts store for about $5.00.

You want one with at least a 1 amp rating. They come in different power ratings…