VIN report mileage interpretation

Hello,

I wish to buy a used car, and the one that is in my mind is VW GOLF PLUS year 2012, diesel, 1.6 TDI, 77kW.VW GOLF PLUS 2012m, dizelis, 1.6 TDI, 77kW

Could I ask your opinion on the validity and importance of the results of purchased car history report using unique VIN number: the attached picture shows the left chart which is from the report, and the right one is the idealized version, where the previous owner would regularly service the car and the mileage would be recorded each time. My report has the only record which is, as stated, at the time of selling (~3 months ago), therefore I conclude that the mileage report is of no use.
From the visual inspection everything seemed fine - high mileage indicating parts, such as steering wheel, pedals, door hinges, show no signs of wear. No irregularly worn tire protectors, no scratches, dents or such. A longer test drive is yet to be done.

If it were up to you, would you still take the car to the maintenance workshop for extra inspection using car diagnostic tools/scanner?

Thank you dearly

The VIN report does not contain every service. If the shop doing the work does not report to the VIN service, it won’t appear.

We always recommend taking any used car to your mechanic for a pre purchase inspection before purchase.

4 Likes

Any 11 year old car needs a prepurchase inspection to protect you from unseen problems. If your thorough inspection doesn’t show any significant problems, spend the $125 or so for the inspection by your mechanic. He has a lift and the diagnostic tools to provide the inspection you need.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will take it to the mechanic then.

Thanks for the reminder to download my service history before cancelling Onstar. Onstar just records every time I hit the reset button though and has no idea if I actually changed oil.

1 Like

In an ideal world (GM’s ideal world, that is), you would take your car with OnStar to a FM dealer for all maintenance work. That way all the maintenance data should be available for you to download. It’s kinda like CarFax in that respect. If you get all maintenance done at a dealer that supports CarFax, all the maintenance data is available. I bought a car once that had all maintenance data a available at CarFax.