Video: GM's (and Ford's) electric crate motor (Chevrolet e-motor) - drop in replacment for your ICE

Link to older thead about drop in replacement electric motors from a different company: Drop in electric EV motor retrofit for older cars?

The thing I wonder about these kits is if the battery can be charged while the vehicle is in use. Can a small generator or trailer with a battery pack provide supplemental electricity? I also wonder what the options are for the battery pack. Is lead acid a choice?

Why bother? The Chevrolet eCrate system comes with all the hardware needed for the conversion according to the Chevy website. Why use a low storage density battery like lead-acid when a GM 66 kWhr Li-ion battery is part of the purchase?

1 Like

Doesn’t make any sense to me. For $55,000 to convert you older vehicle to an EV when you can buy a NEW EV for the same price or cheaper. And now ALL the parts are new…Not jus the drive train.

You don’t get the rest of the car. Consider a 911 Porsche with a spent engine. It could be replaced with another ICE Porsche engine or by an electric motor system. The Porsche engine might cost about the same. Either way the owner gets the great Porsche driving experience. It’s not something worth considering for a car like a jack Century but there are cars where it might make sense even if it’s emotional sense.

1 Like

What about the extra weight of the battery for a Porsche 911 or similar car? I can understand this thing going in to a truck or van that has a large carrying capacity.

Stiffer springs, stronger dampers, bigger stabilizer bars and higher load tires are all easily available for nearly every Porsche model to compensate for extra weight.

Same can be said for other cars and trucks that might be EV candidates.

A car guy gets it, you can have your cake and eat it too…
1956 EV Chevy, 1970 EV Chevelle, 1968 EV Road Runner, 1971 EV Mustang Mach 1, etc etc etc… All the benefits of EV with all the great styling of the older cars and trucks…

And if you are already doing a complete frame off, then EVERYTHING is going to be NEW anyway…
It’s a win win no matter how you look at it…
And if you can afford to convert an ICE to an EV, then money is not a problem for you anyway… lol

2 Likes

I don’t get it :grinning:
The reason I own classic cars is two fold- I like the body styling but primarily, I want the sound and experience of an awesome IC engine. I put up with all the other less desirable stuff to get those two things. If I don’t have the fire breathing monster under the hood, I might as well just buy a modern electric muscle car and get all the goodies that go along with it…at a fraction of the cost and effort. Age is playing a role in that position as well :wink:

1 Like

Using analternator to recharge the battery while driving would give you a net loss of electricity unless that alternator was used ti slow the car while braking. likely not worth the extra weight,cost and complexity.

Just where are you giubf to fit the batteries in a Porsche unless it is their SUV?

Oh I am on the same boat, I love pulling the very short exhaust off my RR and having a little fun with it, the sound of open headers is awesome to me, even if I am given up a little torque on the bottom end, but it is also pretty loud with the exhaust on it as well…
I was just making a general point for having a EV classic…
I will never own one (EV classic), but can understand why others wood…

But yeah, doing smokey burnouts and hearing all the engine noise is music to my ears… I also love the choppy close LSA of a cam over the wide LSA w/EFI of the newer engines at idle, even though some have more HP…
Gasoline for ever!!!

1 Like

In the front trunk where the fuel tank used to be. You have to get a little creative! Maybe remove those little back seats and put a couple there. And a few more in with the motor as there is some extra room.

A number of years ago I saw an EV converted Porsche 911 with a forklift motor and controller installed. It had lead-acid batteries installed. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to talk to the owner about it.

The switch to lithium is due to the significant weight difference lead vs lithium for the same energy capacity. The energy is stored in the outer electrons, and most of lead’s electrons are inners & aren’t used. The electrons don’t weigh much, but every electron comes with a proton and usually a neutron or two. .

I heard on the news (so it must be true :crazy_face: :rofl:)
Only 6 percent of vehicles sold last year were EV,s
Tesla is halting building a new plant in Mexico
Ford and GM are slowing production of EV’s because sales are not what they were expecting.
4000 car dealerships across the US wrote a letter to Biden asking to slow down the transition to all EV’s because of lack of sales.

I don’t get it. And I’ve been a car guy for over 5 decades.

That really doesn’t surprise me…

A Uk company makes a rear subframe for the 911 that holds the battery along with everything else, custom axles. Reportedly it’s a bolt in affair and gives about 200mi range. Didn’t say price though.

1 Like