Vibration After Changing Rotors

There are several good videos on youtube explaining how to check for sticking calipers. One is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK2EsZn4pQ

I am thinking I will order some new rotors and swap them out. Going to go with an OE manufacturer.

I think you are wasting your money. I do not believe it is your rotor(s). If it was you would feel vibration not only through the steering wheel but very likely also the brake pedal.

This said, there are good videos on youtube how to check your rotor for warp. Here is one: https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+check+for+rotor+warping&kpvalbx=1

I am with Kurt. Your money might be better spent having someone really finding the problem instead of throwing parts at something.

The friction surface on the rotors doesn’t have to warped to have a vibration. If the rotor castings are out of round the rotors can cause a vibration.

Can you feel the vibration while operating the vehicle on jack stands?

Does the vibration stop while coasting, then return when you begin to accelerate? That would indicate a worn CV joint.

Out of balance front tires,bent wheel or tie rod ends
thats my guess.

Vibration doesn’t have any relationship to acceleration, just vehicle speed.

I’ll take a further look at the caliper issue. I just don’t notice any difference in temperature between left and front after driving. Granted this is just the hand test, so not very scientific. Also don’t notice any sort of burning smell from the pads dragging. Had thought about popping the caliper guide pins out again and cleaning them again just to be sure that isn’t the issue.

First let’s do some diagnostic work:

Is the vibration in the steering wheel (front) and through the seat (rear)?

Swap tires, front to rear. Did the vibration change ends? If not, then it is not tires and/or wheels.

I suspect it won’t change ends - and if that happens, my next step would be to swap rotors front to rear if you can. If you can’t, can you determine if it is one side or the other - and if so, swap rotors side to side.

But on the off chance that it is tires and/or wheels, find somebody with a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine and have them looked at for Road Force. ( http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700)

I’m guessing something other than rotors. Mostly leaning towads wheel and/or tire problem.

1 Like

Switch the front tires to the rear and see if the vibration moves. Nice weekend afternoon project

Well I think you have an afternoon of diagnostics ahead of you but I had a CV joint that was going out that would pulsate in the front end. Yup first you have to isolate that it is not related to brakes or the rotors or wheels and tires and then look to front end parts.

And resolve to this problem?

what was the solution.

i am having identical issues and its driving me crazy trying to troubleshoot this.

thanks

Suggest to post your problem as a separate top post @Damien.lefrancois . You’ll get better results here. Click “maintenance/repairs” upper left, then “new topic” upper right. Be sure to tellus the make/model/year and a brief description of the problem and possible clues.

1 Like