Vibe/Matrix

Very unusual for someone to make a hotrod Vibe with an old Sunbird engine and adding a supercharger. What kind of dealer would sell a vehicle like this? This modification violates federal emissions laws. Who would buy a vehicle with these modifications?

Can you post a picture of the engine?

Exactly! the only difference is under the hood and some of the exterior styling. The Pontiac a/c system is built by AC Delco and not as tough as the one in the Toyota.That was the case for the Corolla/Prizm.

I highly doubt thatā€¦both the price and a ā€œprime specimenā€ Vibe from 03 still existing. Iā€™ve seen them listed around here between $3-4k at dealerships depending on condition. Given the Engine Swap, admitted fair condition, and 2 previous rear ended accidents, list it for 2k, hope you get lucky, but be ready to lower your price to the 1-1.5k range.

Edited to add: @Coralbo_174594 the prices I list were from when I looked up the higher trim level. If you have the lower trim level, then Daveā€™s 7K prime specimen is even more unlikely than spotting 2 unicorns walking along the PA Turnpike, and youā€™ll probably be more likely to get the lower end of my price range.

1 Like

Given the history of this car, I doubt that you could get $3000 for it unless prices are much higher in Alaska than the lower 48 states. As someone else said, you could try selling it for $3000 and see what happens. A lot depends on when your mother wants the money for her car and how fast you need to sell the Vibe. Given the buddy price on momā€™s car, a quick sale at a lower price for the Vibe might work out best for you.

I have a feeling someoneā€™s leg is being pulled.

Leg pulling ? Which part a. the engine transplant b. Or Dave thinking a 2003 Pontiac Vibe could pull $7000.00

c. both a and b. The OP could be the one having the lower appendage problem.

Here are three at the upper end of the range. $6988 with at least one accident (presumably reflected in the price), $6488, and $5850.

Granted, these represent the high end and thereā€™s no guarantee of actually getting the asking price but there are examples out there, otherwise I wouldnā€™t have cited them. These are the results of a nationwide search and none of them are near me, the closest being in Milwaukee, but that doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t exist. Again, the midpoint is $4750 for a vehicle in average condition, presumably with average mileage, say 240-250k.
Anyway, looks like itā€™s unicorn season. :wink:

Thatā€™s impressive considering the first Sunfire was a 1995 model.

4 Likes

Somebody was pulling both legs. I guess when someone begins to doubt one lie-1993 Sunfire Engine, you add another- had to remove supercharger, to boost the appearance of veracity.

3 Likes

I suppose itā€™s remotely possible the OP meant a Sunbird. Those were available in the 1993 model year. Or it could all be clean, leg-pulling fun.

Of course the person with the 2003 Vibe is full of manure. Not only do I struggle to believe that anyone would have possibly put an old Sunfire/Sunbird engine into a Vibe, but I really struggle to believe that anyone is paying $6k to $7k for a 2003 Vibe with over 200,000 miles, even if a small number of greedy fools actually posted ads at those asking prices. If anyone is paying that kind of money for this type of car, it must be 100% stock, in mint condition, and with less than 50,000 miles on it.

1 Like

Follow my links and youā€™ll see that all three examples have 122k or lower, very low for an 18 year old vehicle. Further, these are not ā€œgreedy foolsā€ but a couple of car lots and one dealer, folks who presumably know something about selling cars. Nobody is talking about a 2003 Vibe with 200k going for $7000 except you. A nationwide search for 2003 Vibes turned up 29 vehicles, of which three were $5850 and above. Once again, the midpoint is $4750, which would be much closer to a vehicle in average condition with the 240-250k Iā€™d expect for an 18 year old vehicle. Weā€™ve already established that the OPā€™s vehicle should sell for considerably less. It was pointed out to me recently that my experience is not universal. I offer the same advice to you if youā€™ll take it.