Very rough oil pan threads

Had the oil changed at a quick lube on a 2007 Honda Accord. Same place I have always taken it since purchased new. Comments written on receipt were “very rough oil pan threads” but no one said anything to me. Any suggestions for when I go in and talk to manager tomorrow?

sounds like CYA for: ‘someone’ overtightened and stripped the plug, so we are putting it in writing to COA.

you should go to honda and get a new plug. have it swapped next time you get an oil change at a decent mechanics shop.

Not really, but don’t be surprised at a brush-off or a nonchalant dismissal of any potential problem.

No idea what’s going on with your car but odds are the guy who notated the problem is not the guy who may have botched the threads. The latter may not even be employed there anymore.

One thing that can contribute to thread problems is someone installing a drain plug without the drain plug gasket. A gasket will allow a bit of “give” as the gasket crushes a bit. When the gasket is omitted and someone overtightens the drain plug the threads will have a tendency to “pull”, which means they will distort outwards.
I’m just making an assumption at this point that by very rough they may mean pulled threads.

Like it or not Hondas are prone to oil plug problems and require replacement of the gasket each time. Buy a supply to give them one to use when you go in and you can ask them if they have been doing it as the factory specifies and if not maybe they will owe you an oil pan-fat chance.

In addition to what’s already been mentioned, it’s entirely possible that someone screwed the plug in with dirt on it.

Threads can be “chased” if necessary with a tap to clean them up. I prefer a “backout tap” for these types of things, only because usually the inner threads are good and the cut can be established exactly following the original threads by using them. Not everyone has one. It’s basically a trifurcated tap made to cut on its way out. It’s on a shaft with a cone on the end and a nut at eth wrench end. When the nut is tightened, it draws the cone back opening the cutting portions of the tap and preparing it to cut. This type of tap is inserted into the hole, enlarged, and then backed out.

Oh, and you should avoid quickie lube shops. We hear tons of disasters.

The problem was caused from taking your vehicle to a quick-lube place to get your oil changed.

When your oil is changed at one these places, it’s done on a hot engine. Now you have an aluminum oil pan with a steel drain plug. These two metals expand at different rates when heated. When one threaded component made of one metal is unthreaded from another component made of another metal it can cause galling of the threads in softer metal. In this case the aluminum oil pan. And if done long enough eventually the oil pan threads get boogered up.

Tester

I agree with the previous posts. Your drain plug threads are damaged. Happens quite frequently at these places. Happened to me and I ended up replacing the oil pan. I’ll NEVER go to one of these places again. They work far too fast to work carefully and they employ poorly-trained workers and pay them accordingly. I’m guessing most of the problems are a combination of careless work coupled with lack of expertise.

I get my oil changed at an old-fashioned gas station and they do the job right.