Vehicles stop too close behind mine at a red light on an incline. WWYD?

IIRC commercial airliners have crashed for the same reason, the brake is accidentally left on during takeoff.

Yes. I described doing that in a previous post. I learned it from some adult when I was a kid.

Some older cars have a brake pedal that is not higher up than the gas. I drove an MGB that was like that. The pedals were all the same size.

How hard this is to do might vary considerably between vehicles.

I do not understand all the pushback…

You apply the parking brake (foot-brake or hand-brake, it does not matter…) and you put the car in first gear, when it’s time to go, you give it gas, start lipping the clutch, and release the brake…

It was part of my road test back in 1966…

It is so easy to do and no one is trying “two-toe” the gas and brake…

Some videos…

and another…

Here is another video…

1 Like

Just give it some gas before you start moving

I tried the heel-toe method, did not really practice so never mastered the technique.
As far as I know, the only contributor on this forum that regularly spend time at a track is Mustangman, he may use this technique. Though, as far as I understand, it is used to maintain RPMs during up and downshifting through the curves.

Parking brake should give you the necessary assist. But check your state laws regarding stopping distance in the event of a dispute. Policeman told me that stopping in traffic less than 3 feet from the vehicle in front puts me at fault.

1 Like

I just checked the Virginia Law on this and the DMV web site said this…

How much distance should you leave between your car & the one in front of you at a stoplight? Virginia law doesn’t regulate it, but traffic safety experts recommend at least far enough away to see the rear tires of the other vehicle. It could prevent a chain reaction crash.

This is what I Posted previously…

1 Like

Lived in Ohio at the time. Stopped at a elevated railroad crossing. Moved back about 6 inches and bumped the car behind me. Driver blamed me and called the police. Police cited the 3 foot rule and gave the driver a ticket.

3 Likes

Maybe I mentioned it already, I’m not going to look, but that is what is taught in defensive driving. Avoids you hitting the car ahead if hit but also gives you some room to get out of the way if you have to and are watching behind you.

1 Like

If they’re really close, you can roll slowly back and rest your bumper on theirs.

1 Like

I like to pull close to the car in front of me, usually within a car length unless I’m in a temporary turn only lane. I pull closer then but never closer than about a half a car length. I’m thinking in terms of a small car, not a Suburban. It’s more efficient IMO and in the case if the turn lane, it allows more cars to get into it and not block the through lanes.

1 Like

A car length or half a car length is not really close and likely to cause some irritation of people behind. Try pulling up so you can see the rear tires of the car ahead instead. That will be maybe five feet not ten or 20 feet.

5 Likes