Vehicle woes

A while back I posted about my issue with a gasoline smell that wasn’t able to be resolved by the mechanic,even though according to that mechanic there was gasoline on top of the tank and corroded fuel lines.

I decided to try another mecahnic and took the vehicle to a dealership.

I was told that a smoke test would be done to find the leak.

The test didn’t reveal any problems.They test drove (20 miles) the vehicle and still no smell of gasoline.

They did find that I needed a tune up and I was also told that I needed a gearbox replaced as when the steering wheel was turned fluid would spray out.

I asked them again to try and find the cause of the gasoline smell.I asked them to leave it run outside for a half hour to see if the smell of gas would be present.

Again no smell of gasoline,however I was told that I needed a radiator flush and a screen replace/flush of the trans.

Now the problem…aside from not getting to the cause of the gasoline smell…

This truck never had any issues with the way it ran or any type of noises when I took it in five days ago,now I’m hearing a chirp/chatter noise when in reverse and a groaning when I turn the steering wheel.I’m also feeling an intense heat from underneath the car while it is running.

Any idea on what they may have done to cause any of these problems in the five days they had this vehicle?

I’m really at a loss and about ready to chuck this truck.grrr!

I am going to point out where you answered this question for you:

I’m hearing a chirp/chatter noise when in reverse and a groaning when I turn the steering wheel.

You answered it here:

I was also told that I needed a gearbox replaced as when the steering wheel was turned fluid would spray out.

You have a fluid leak.

BC.

I’m going out to check the fluid soon in the power steering.Do you think it’s strange that this problem occured in the 5 days it was at the dealership,or is it just a coincidence?
I never had any indication of a problem or any noises before.Is it possible they broke something or left a belt loose somewhere…assuming there are any belts near the gearbox.
I guess I’m kind of peeved that they were messing around with things that I never asked them to check and still no answer on the gas smell which I’m sure will return.
Thanks for your answer.I appreciate it.

There were corroded fuel lines and gas on top of the tank and he couldn’t resolve the gas smell problem? I’m bewildered.

The chirping and the groaning sounds like a power steering pump problem. This should be easy to verify or disprove. Pop the hood and have someone turn the wheel while you listen. But, if there’s fluid squirting out, that’ll be a really good clue too.

And it sounds like they’re recommending a tranny fluid flush with filter replacement. I assume this is an automatic. Does your owners’ manual say you’re due?

What year is the truck and how many miles does it have?

Strange huh.I’m perplexed as well.On a good note I’ve driven it twice since it came back from the dealership and no smell of gasoline…yet.
Thanks for the advice on checking the power steering pump.I’ll give it a try.
Oddly enough the noise I heard is gone as well and this was before I added power steering fluid which was completly empty.
I can’t find the manual but the truck is a 97 with 73,000 miles.
I’m just going to take it as it comes and hope for the best on the gasoline smell issue.I don’t see how it could have resolved itself…but maybe…lol