Vauxhall corsa acceleration VERY slow, car struggles to reach 70mph and cant go over 30 uphill

The rattling is coming from the throttle body I’m sure, when go took the pipe off of the top of it the noise was extremely much louder. He said that there was a problem with that but that would only fix the rattling and not the acceleration

Yes. A rattle might indicate a catalyst problem and hopefully so, @jesmed1. And as stated an experienced mechanic should quickly recognize a rod knock. But finding a bad rod after spending $500 to get the car running good would be a real kick in the rear.

I’m gonna take it to a place that does everything tomorrow. The other garage I have been in doesn’t focus so much on engines and stuff, they are more of a quick repair place that does more mechanical stuff. Hopefully I get some real amswers to fix my car tomorrow. Should be getting a new car after Christmas anyway but the mechanic suggested I at least get the problem fixed so it lasts until then

My suggestion goes back to the first page about running a compression test. It’s always a good idea to make sure that the engine top end is capable before spending money; or a lot of money.

If compression is good then I’d say put a vacuum gauge on it and make sure that the converter is not clogged up.

I also might add that over time a clogged converter can harm the engine itself. This goes back to the compression test.

Did you find out the issue please mate. Having the same problem with mine

8 years later, OP probably long gone.

@Mecky_sbai_183454 , you probably noted the clogged exhaust theory above. Ask your shop if there’s a simple way to test this theory on your car. For example it may be possible to simply remove the pre-cat o2 sensor for a test. That would allow the exhaust gasses from the engine a clear path to escape. Will be very noisy. If you want add’l here suggest to post your question again as a new topic. Click maintenance/repairs above left, then new topic above right.

1 Like