Value of options for lawsuit

Really, how much obsolete equipment is around my house. I have a few analog cell phones, a window 3.1 computer, a dwell meter, a couple of analog tv’s, a wife that does not work…

I see no value to those features at all ,now or back in 2004. It was and is nothing than a convenience. The only value was to on star to make money off you. Buy a good cell phone and forget the lawsuit.

Best Buy will install a digital OnStar mirror for $150, including hardware purchase. Unfortunately, they aren’t sure whether it will work in your car. Try an Audi forum or talk to the dealer. If it works, then go to Best Buy for an installation. $150 hardly seems like it’s tort-uous.

The annoying statute of limitations on tort suits might get in the way too.

I can sympathize though because I’ve got a Tandy SL 1000 computer with Deskmate tucked away in the attic that runs at 4Mhz and it grates on me to no end that it won’t work with the net.

Maybe I should sue Radio Shack… :wink:

“Audi was aware of the change being made and had the option of installing a unit that could be modified or operate on both systems systems”.
My question is: "Was the digital technology being used for Onstar in 2004? If it was in the planning stages, but not in use, I can see why the unit installed made use of what was the current technology at the time. I remember when automobile radios only tuned the AM band (with the exception of the 1941 Chevrolet where a factory radio was available that tuned short wave bands as well. However, due to WW II, the government put an end to shortwave receivers as factory equipment for cars). However, FM had been invented by Armstrong, but didn’t become available in automobiles until the 1960’s, even though FM home radios were available in 1946. Now, if I owned a 1954 Buick in 1963 (which I did), should I have expected the radio to be adaptable for FM broadcasts?

I thought I was old, I once told an intern we had radios that only got AM. he did not believe me.Then I threw in every car had a cordless cigarette lighter in just for kicks, Triedaq, that is a note of trivia that should go down somewhere besides the dying annals of my brain!

You can sue anyone for anything-winning and collecting is another matter.

When I told my daughter in law that the Army trained me for teletype repair, she said “What’s a teletype?” And that wasn’t that long ago.

This isn’t a case of something bought in 1954 and no longer functional in 1963. More like 1954.5

Yes, they knew the technology was going obsolete and were still installing and selling the old systems. The newer ones were not yet available. Even so there is always going to be some overlap period where products are in the production stream and switching is nearly impossible. Should they stop producing $20k+ products due to a $250 option?

Besides the time to negotiate was back in 2004 when you bought it. This was all over the news well in advance. Good luck now, 8 years later for something that was worth <$1000 new.

My 8" floppies don’t fit my powerbook so watch out, Apple. :x

Suing over onstar not working? Sorry, but just move on.

I too have many obsolete technology around my house…

The problem with Onstar is that Onstar KNEW the change was coming when the OP bought his car. At the very least they should have informed him the change was coming. Someone a while go in this forum was in the same situation. Only was more severe…Their car was less then a year old…and the new digital technology was already there. Onstar and GM were clearly aware that the technology was going to be obsolete in just a few months. The GM dealer wanted to charge him something like $1000 for the upgrade. Later that year GM came up with a much cheaper solution. I think the conversion was less then $15…which is reasonable.

This situation…the car was built about 5 years before the planned switch over. Onstar did know about it…everyone in the industry did. I was working for a larger telecom company then…We had to spend MILLIONS upgrading many of our systems. And hire many new techs to help upgrade our customers equipment. 5 years is a little long to be filing a lawsuit…but I sure would have liked to have been informed.

It’s not just electronics; it’s the entire car. Car manufacturers have plans in the works to obsolete a line of cars even as they’re being newly introduced.

Some years ago while attending a service school, the rep who was giving the lecture even stated this to be the case.

Am I missing something here? your car is 8 years old and some of the comms devices don’t work.

So what. Get a bluetooth kit fitted for ~ $200 and just use that with your phone?

I have no desire to use a phone from 2004, in the same way as I no longer hark after drum brakes and the choke lever. Or the distributor rotor…

Resorting to litigation is a touch over the top…

“Was the digital technology being used for Onstar in 2004?”

No. Our 2003 Silhouette had the analog system. I think we switched to the digital service in 2007 when GM offered the digital receiver for a low price.

Planned obsolescence according to many does not exist as a marketing and money making ploy. I am conflicted as I can no longer rebuild a fuel pump for $50, but have to replace it for $200. Now I need special tools to do anything, but do not have to check points and timing every 3k miles. We are trading off this for that, and I am thinking of going backwards, ie my 72 nova as my next car. I could fix anything on that car without special tools, expensive disposable parts, Gosh why an I thinking that is what my grandfather said about his model t?

I have no opinion on the merits of your claim, but you might could get some $$-value info on the option by looking at a Kelly Blue book. They list itemized options and their value. I’m not sure if the item you are concerned about is on their list, but it probably is worth checking out to see. Libraries & bookstores often have this book, and I think some of it may be available on-line too.

Libraries & bookstores often have this book, and I think some of it may be available on-line too.

They are all on Kindle now.
Who am I gonna sue now?

I don’t think these systems were guaranteed to be in service forever but I can understand someones disappointment if it is useless after 5 years. On the positive side there are no more subscription fees.

Lexus owners also lost the use of their “Lexus Link” systems. In 2007 a Lexus campaign offered to remove the Lexus Link system from the cars of owners who no longer subscribed to the service, “free of charge”. With the system removed the customers would have nothing to complain about when the service became no longer available.

If this can be used as legal precedence this may be just what they owe you, to have the system removed or at least a piece of thick tape to block the buttons from your view.

“They are all on Kindle now.
Who am I gonna sue now?”

Sergio Kindle?

No, his sister: Amazon Kindle.