Vacuum motors are so last-century

@ok4450

“EGR vacuum regulator solenoids”

I agree with you about the other items you mentioned, but not the egr

Because manufacturers moved away from vacuum controlled EGR some time ago.

First, they went electric

Then they started moving away from EGR itself

Variable valve timing allowed them to achieve the desired emissions reductions, without EGR

So yes, vacuum controlled egr IS outdated, at least for current gasoline engines in passenger vehicles and light trucks

VW used to run the windshield washer with spare tire pressure. Now they use the same thing for emissions systems.

I much preferred heater controls with cables for the doors and valves to shut off the flow to the heater core. You could get great ventilation without a/c.

Yeah I remember I think it was that 55 Buick that the guy was putting a diesel boat engine in. Prolly some exterior sheet metal is all that is left of these Cuba cars. The guys even hammered out new fenders and body panels when they needed them. Not exactly OEM FoMoCo stuff.

Variable valve timing allowed them to achieve the desired emissions reductions, without EGR

Actually, variable valve timing became the new EGR. By closing the exhaust valves late, a lot of exhaust gets sucked back into the combustion chambers during the first part of the intake stroke.

Let's also not forget that many of these cars that survived have been heavily modified and/or butchered, in order to keep them alive. Many of them have totally incorrect engines, transmissions, or both, among various other changes/modifications

PBS did a show on that a few months ago. It was amazing. One guy needed a new carb for his old Chevy…so he goes to this mechanic…and he finds a carb off a Russian School Bus that worked. They can’t get brake fluid…so they make their own.

I was amazed how ingenious they were. I’d like to see what these guys could do with real replacement parts.

“Vacuum motors are so last century.”

You’re right of course but so are internal combustion engines, air-filled rubber tires and leaf springs. Vehicles are still being built with those components everyday. I don’t thing I ever had vacuum operated blend doors that ever failed. My electric ones have failed twice.

@B.L.E.

I’ll restate it

With the advent of variable valve timing, EGR valves are no longer necessary

Good enough . . . ?!

:wink:

I just thought of something interesting. We have lots of GM vehicles in our fleet. And even some of the older ones that did NOT have variable valve timing also did not have EGR valves. For example, some of the earlier 4.3 and 5.7 engines had air injection and egr, whereas the later versions did not. We had model year 2005 Astro vans with the 4.3, for example, and I know they didn’t have variable vale timing.

So it was somehow possible to meet ever stricter emissions standards without egr, and also without variable valve timing.

IC engines, air filled tires, outdated you say? I’ll bet somewhere out there is a kid feverishly working on his phone to come up with a replacement for the wheel. Some things are just good ideas regardless of the century they were invented in. And his 50 year old boss sadly shakes his head saying “Johnnie, you really don’t need to reinvent the wheel-just make it better”.

Wheels with air filled tires defy becoming obsolete mostly because there are some things that we got right over 100 years ago.

Air filled tires didn’t become obsolete, but they sure have evolved a great deal.
As have ICEs.

Manufacturers are now starting to use the variable valve timing systems to leave a bit of exhaust gas in the cylinders instead of using an EGR system to introduce it. I haven’t kept track of how commonplace it’s become, but it is here.

Re: the Cuban Missile Crisis and trade embargo… that was in 1961.

@db4690
You are,no doubt, correct that the Cuban cars won’t make it to these shores. Maybe I will start a foundation to save the vacuum motors. I could solicit contributions from posters on this board. I might even extend my mission in saving vacuum motors to saving hydraulically powered equipment in cars. The same aunt that had the 1940 Ford also had a 1948 Buick convertible. The power windows and the mechanism to raise and lower the top were hydraulically powered.

If vacuum motor is an obsolete technology, then it would have no business helping you stop. In case anyone has not noticed, the brake booster is one big vacuum motor

The vehicle in question was a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country minivan.

The question in the column was about the heater operation on a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. This was part of the response;

There are just flaps inside the ducts, called “blend doors,” operated by vacuum motors, that open and close to allow heat or stop heat from coming through the vents into the passenger compartment. And it sounds like one of your blend door motors is no longer working and that door is stuck in the open position.

That misinformation can also be found on the radio show.

The HVAC systems in Chrysler minivans have used servo motors since 1996. From 1984 to 1995 vacuum actuator were used for mode and recirculate doors but the blend door was cable operated.

Most cars use a cable or servo motor to operate the blend doors, it is difficult for incremental control of the blend door using a vacuum actuator.

Manufactures switched to servo motors for most vehicles during the 90’s, vacuum actuators, controls and vacuum lines are trouble prone.

Ford EATC units use vacuum for most of the climate control functions.

Some brakes use a hydraulic assist,powered by the PS pump I believe.Everything has its place,(havent seen many tomato juice cans under hood lately)

many large vehicles often use hydroboost

And some “regular” size vehicles that physically don’t have room for a vacuum brake booster also use hydroboost . . . Chevy Astro is a good example

vacuum actuators, controls and vacuum lines are trouble prone.

They also cost more money to install. Separate hoses with connectors and Ts… versus a few extra wires in an already being built and installed wire harness. Labor is the 600lb gorilla in the room…