V6 vs V8

It would not be Cadillac’s first problematic engine…

As a matter of fact, Cadillac also used the high feature V6, along with Chevrolet, GMC, and maybe others. The frightening thing was that the bulletin addressed every single model year of that engine, through 2015, I believe

Sad. It’s why some of us still have trouble recommending domestic cars, except for a few models that have demonstrated reliability. Ford used to have some, designed by Mazda, but now that the’ve cut that connection, their reliability has been sinking. Surprisingly, Chrysler’s quality has been rising since Fiat took over. The Dodge Dart interior is ugly, but so far it seems quite reliable, as are the Fiat 500 and 500L. The new 200 is very stylish. If it proves to be reliable, Chrysler might be in a strong position. It’s been a long time since I really liked any of their cars.

If Cadillac wasn’t requested, I’d recommend others, like the Infiniti G37 and Acura TL. A Lexus ES350 or Toyota Avalon would also probably surprise the OP with their performance.

The real issue is power to weight ratio. Many cars are getting smaller, and are also using lighter weight materials. As the car gets lighter it can go fast with a smaller and less powerful motor.

V8’s used to be smoother and idle better, but modern V6’s are much improved in these areas so now there basically is no difference.

Thanks for the heads up, db4690…and your input, Caddyman, as well. And, of course, you’re right about the problematic engines. I know for several years there were head gasket issues with the Northstar, and I had one of those (damned expensive to repair). That being said, unless I can get swayed another direction, I STILL love the Caddy’s ride, despite the fears and expensive repairs. I mean, such is life with a luxury car, right? Anyway…continue to appreciate everyone’s feedback. Thanks.

5500 rpm? Gosh, I hit that with my 2002 Sienna several times a month. I live in the mountains of rural Mexico, and there are winding roads. Also heavy laden trucks that grind along at low speeds. With only an occasional place to pass, it is imperative to get around fast and back in my own lane.

Redline is 6300. I am not sure exactly where I hit, because I have other things on my mind, but it looks like maybe 5800 or so before the computer forces the shift. I’ve been doing that for around 10 years now, car has around 206,000 miles on it.

I am guessing it shifts down to first gear when I punch it, but am not going to distract myself by trying to be sure. It starts often well under 20 mph, so I am guessing first gear.

In the interest of economy of manufacturing and operation, it seems we are reducing the number of cylinders but with mixed results. Some motors are less reliable.

My guess is the reliability problems are temporary. The engines are working harder than they used to and they haven’t figured out what they need to do to keep them reliable. Maybe they can’t without significant changes in the engines instead of a few bandages. The manufacturers that have been making small, powerful engines for longer have a better understanding, but the other makes are still a bit behind.

It sure is strange, about a year ago, most “old Pros” on here were badmouthing V6s. They had all kinds of faults while I had one that was the smoothest engine I ever drove. However I will not buy an engine with a timing belt. I am not willing to tear into an engine and replace anything at 60 to 70 K miles.

@EllyEllis‌

Most manufacturers now specifiy that the timing belt be replaced at around 90K or 100K, or x number of years, whichever comes first

Elly, my only quibble with V6s is generally poor access to the rear bank when they’re transversely mounted. Longitudinally mounted, like in a pickup, they’re great.

But I do think that inline 4s run so well and so smoothly now that V6s often aren’t needed, and in some applications have no advantages at all. The old days of inline 4s idling rougher and lacking power are pretty much gone.

Elly, my only quibble with V6s is generally poor access to the rear bank when they're transversely mounted. Longitudinally mounted, like in a pickup, they're great.

Changing the rear plugs on my wifes Lexus was a royal pain. When I had the car inspected this year I had them replace the original serpentine belt. I just didn’t want to deal with it. So much easier to work on when you have a lift (which I don’t).

The V^'s I had in my Pathfinders (90 and 98) and my 05 4runner are very easy to work on. And all of those engines are EXCELLENT engines. The 90 Pathfinder with the 3.0 was a little bit of a dog compared to my later SUV’s…but much more powerful then my GMC with the 2.8l. The Nissan 3.3l V6 was a workhorse. It kept going and going and going. Last I knew that engine was approaching 500k miles.

Having driven one of the last naturally aspirated BMW straight 6, I want one in everything. I would buy a compact car with a 1.5L straight 6. V6 and V8 don’t do it for me

Well. I don’t intend to spend $300 to $500 on my engine at 90k. I might have to though.

@EllyEllis‌

“Well. I don’t intend to spend $300 to $500 on my engine at 90k.”

What does that mean?

You won’t do the timing belt?

Or you’ll get rid of the car at that point?

I’m asking because one of my coworkers bought a Cruze last year, which has a timing belt. He intends to get rid of the car when the timing belt is due.

Penny wise, pound foolish…

@db,what? that doesnt make good sense at 90K is when a person needs to think about keeping the car(hope He doesnt scrimp on other maintenence)-Kevin

some people prefer new cars and no maintenance and are willing to make payments forever to get that.

@wes. as I get older I see the value in good things that cost less-Kevin