Using poorly-stored gasoline

I have some gasoline (5 gallons) that’s just under a month old, that was stored in a proper can, but I didn’t realize the cap wasn’t tightened all the way down, so I imagine condensation could get in. It was also stored outside, and was buried in snow. I doubt melted snow got in, but I guess it’s not impossible. I would dispose of the gas, but it’s a real hassle. Can I just use it in my car?

If it’s just a month old and not otherwise contaminated, I would put it in the car one gallon at the time. Since it’s lighter than water, the water, if any, will settle on the bottom. I’d flush the last little bit down the toilet.

Sea fome or one other such as techron can be added. What was the intended use? Now last year we got torrential rains, stepped into the boat to bail it out, and the boat, motor and gas tank sunk. A 7hp outboard from 1973. So I plled the pugs, drained the carb, left it upside down in the sun to dry the motor out. Pulled a couple of cups of water out of the tank with a turkey baster and life was good.

I’d just take it to a place that recycles contaminated gasoline. Why risk a big fuel-system repair bill for the sake of 2 gallons of gasoline?

A month should not be too much of a problem but if you are worried and still want to keep it, would go to a marine store which deals with environments that are always moisture laden and get the appropriate additive. The gas should not be spoiled but the effects of ethanhol may be present. Rest assured, by the time you take precautions it may be cheaper just to dispose of the gas properly.

I have no problem treating gasoline and running through a lawn mower. I have a problem throwing gas I I suspect might be bad in a $30k automobile. They maybe able to better eat it up, but I don’t test gasoline quality with my cars. If it runs poorly in a lawnmower, just drain it out and flush it with new gas. Try do that with your car at home.

More than likely it’s just fine. If there are doubts, pour the bulk of it slowly into another container and the remaining smaller amount into a clear container.
If there is any condensation issue it will have settled into the bottom and you will be able to see it rolling around on the bottom of the container.

Yes, you can use it in the car.
The ethanol in gasoline interferes with the surface tension of the water molecules allowing them to be distributed amongst gasoline in turbulence (“absorbed” by the gasoline) and drawn slowly with the gasoline into the engine for burning. Understand that you’re talking parts per million, not a quart of water for each quart of gasoline. Water molecules burned with the gasoline in this manner are totally normal and harmless.

Realize too that any excess moisture in the canister’s airspace that was drawn in due to decreasing pressures caused by the cold are going to be released when you open the can and pour the gasoline. You’re not talking about putting liquid water in, you’re only talking about molecules of water in vapor form. Parts per million, not quarts per gallon.

Agree with the same mountainbike here.