Used Highlander or new Edge?

My daughter bought a Mazda CX-5 Sport last year and she loves it. It is a competitor for the RAV-4 and CR-V. The Sport model comes with a 4-cyl, and if you get the 2WD model, it has acceptable power. If I wanted a small SUV, I would definitely look at this one. Great gas mileage, BTW.

The OP is posting 28000 to 32000 in cost. Heck this is simple, find a nice new vehicle in the 25000 dollar range and also a decent used pickup for runs to Home Depot.

Me again.

The Rav4 would be perfect if it were quieter. Iā€™ve read a number of forums where road/wind noise is an issue. Donā€™t ask me why, but I like to talk with my wife when weā€™re driving. (Hear her opinions when weā€™re driving.)

Which brings up asemasterā€™s wise post. Youā€™re right. What the heck am I doing even thinking about a used car? Guess itā€™s because all our lives weā€™ve bought used. Paid cash for every one of them. Never made a car payment in my life. Weā€™re lucky enough now to be able to pay cash for a new car. Iā€™m an idiot even considering used. But boy, I like used cars. Never have to stress over parking lot dings, first owner has eaten depreciation, historical reliability record exists, etc.

Galant: ā€œThe new Highlander is actually smaller than the older one, just looks big! It is probably not the best in its class IMO, but I digress. If you are paying that much for the used, just get a good deal on a new one with standard bluetooth and rear view camera.ā€ OK, Iā€™ll research the Highlanderā€™s size, but thought Iā€™d read that the new model is 3 inches longer and now an 8-seater. Way more than my wife and I need.

Docnick said, ā€œDonā€™t buy a vehicle to carry the largest load you will ever experience.ā€ No argument, and a good reminder, but we like to garden and buy sacks of dirt every year or so. This is why I like the Edge: not too big, not too small, can bring home occasional large items.

Our Mazda B4000 will be going to our daughter soon. She and her husband need it more than us. Actually will be glad to see it go. Every Texas summer my wife and I pity it baking in the driveway sun, and they have a place to park it under cover on their farm.

This is exactly what I was hoping to find here: common sense advice. Many thanks.

I would ignore forum comments on noise and ride, and find out for myself. What some call rough, others like as firm. So Iā€™d be looking at the Rav4, the CX-5, the CR-V, and maybe a base Edge. And take a long test drive in any youā€™re serious about.

And take a long test drive in any youā€™re serious about.

Better yet, if youā€™re really serious about a model, find one at your local car rental agency and rent one for a few days or a weekend and use it as you would your own car. Might be a couple hundred dollars well spent to make sure the car suits you well.

+1 asemaster

The Highlander has to be the V6, I would not bother with the 4 on that car. We are actually in the process of looking for a car now. We went to the Toyota dealer because my wife likes them & wanted to look at the HL. When the salesman starting saying that it fits 8 passengers she said we do not need a bus, so we moved to the RAV4. I felt it was a bit noisy but apparently did not bother my wife. Now I am trying to find a rental one for a long test drive.

I really like the styling of the Edge.But one thing I do when shopping for cars is to test drive the used ones even if I want to buy a new one. I have test driven a 3 yr old Escape and Edge and both were rattle boxes. Maybe these were not well maintained but I wouldnā€™t want to risk it.

Look what Iā€™ve just learned: Home Depot rents trucks!

http://www.homedepot.com/c/truck_rental

I doubt Iā€™d need a truck more than twice, maybe three times a year. Clearly economical to rent rather than buy a large vehicle Iā€™d be paying for all year long.

This changes the equation.

Yeah so does Menards and I think Lowes. About $15-25 for 90 minutes or so. Donā€™t know what happens after that. Also the Menards delivery charge is $50 per load. Iā€™ve never done either yet since I have a trailer. Also the local lumber yards deliver free but prices and quality are a little higher. Then again try and find a car with a towing capacity yet. Thatā€™s why I like my G6 but will need to buy something sometime. Even the small SUV has no towing capacity. Figure that out.

@SteveK Right on. I have 3 neighbors who have big trucks and only one has a small trailer to pull his snowmobile. Costco is the only retailer here who does not deliver. When I need a couple of 2x4s I carry them on a roof rack; if I need a whole load of lumber I have it delivered.

Thatā€™s what I like about the G6, the seats fold down so I can take a load of 8-10ā€™ 2x4s or copper pipe in the trunk. If I need plywood or furniture or need to haul tree limbs, the trailer is used. Iā€™ve moved myself three or more times and others with the trailer and car, including appliances. When it comes to dirt, rock, or gravel, its a lot easier to shovel off of a low trailer into a wheel barrow than off a pick up truck. Plus I can carry 2000# in the trailer and you canā€™t do that with a 1/2 ton pick up. I am starting to suspect though that if cars could pull trailers, there would be a lot fewer trucks sold at a loss in profit. Maybe not a conspiracy, but thatā€™s the result anyway.

ASE has the right idea that, if you can find a place that does it, renting a potential purchase would be money well spent.
Iā€™ll also throw in the suggestion about looking at the Mazda CX-5, or maybe even the Ford Escape, if youā€™re so inclined.

Rediscovered this old post of mine. Just to close the loop, let me tell everyone that I ended up buying (in late December 2015) a 2011 Toyota Venza (yeah, look it up), 6-cyl, 75K miles, $14500, oil changed every 5K miles at a dealer per Carfax. Drives and looks (except for the typical dings) like new. At 69 yrs old, I might never buy another car.

Thanks for your post. Itā€™s often frustrating to not know the outcome of a discussion.

And, 69 years old is not close to the last chapters. Take as good care of yourself as we keep telling people to take care of their cars and youā€™ll live to wear out (or get tired of) that Venza.