Used car listings covering license plates

Can you name this service, please?[quote=“JoeMario, post:8, topic:106053”]
On a related note, some car dealerships grab your license plate number as you drive into their lot. By the time you begin talking with a salesperson, they already know more about you than you ever realized.
[/quote]

What will they find out? address and what else? How does it give them an upper hand with the buyer? Not questioning, just curious. Luckily, I have not stepped in the dealership so far to purchase a car, so I have no idea whats thinking style here.

My little friend’s name is Walther. Sorry but I’m not going on a craigslist buy with thousands in cash without him. People get robbed over $20 all the time.

I have had nothing but outstanding experiences on craigslist. I have hijacked the old Honda motorcycle slogan and I say that you meet the nicest people on craigslist. I have bought or sold several hundred items on craigslist.

In the past couple of months some of the highlights…

Purchased a ford V10 engine that was disassembled with crank turned and cylinders hones for $85.

Traded a Chinese SKS + 800 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo for a 2006 E350 shuttle bus with spun rod bearings on the V10.

Sold 1975 Honda CB750 Amen Savior chopper that I restored for $4000

Traded 2006 Honda VTX 1300R motorcycle for a 1966 Lincoln SA200 pipeline welder.

Purchased walkie style forklift for $75.

Purchased 2 shop sweepers for the Continental F163 flathead engines for $75 each.

I currently have about $20,000 in stuff that I want to get listed for sale as soon as I have time to do so. I plan to sell a few vehicles and equipment that I no longer need.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have bought or sold everything from household appliances, electronics, guns, cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, flatbed trailers, lawn equipment, horse/stock trailers, tools, car/truck parts, farm implements, livestock, horses, etc.

The County Police here have several parking spaces on their lot for buyers and sellers to get together for Craigslist sales. The idea, of course, is to keep the weapons at home. If you don’t have that service available, you might talk to the local police to see if they can set it up. The problem with carrying weapons is that one day you may feel compelled to use it. Without proper training in dealing with criminals, it could turn out badly for you and the supposed criminal you just shot. The police are supposed to be well trained and look at how many people are needlessly shot. The dead woman in Minneapolis who called 911 is the most recent one.

The burner phone number is from an app called “Sideline”. I use the Android version from app store so I don’t know if there is an Apple version. It is free for a local number you use at least every 15 days. If you don’t use it, the number expires. Perfect for Craigslist.

1 Like

Based on recent events, I’d sooner DIY my security, for the same reason I don’t go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. The skill and professionalism seems to be lacking.

…in fact, the fewer interactions I have with police, the happier I am.

At least in California when you sell a vehicle or boat or trailer or anything with a title, you give the title and the plate to the buyer. At that magic moment they give you the money. You might not know who they really are, but they get your name and address on the title. No way around it.

How can you sell a car without exposing yourself to some risk? I don’t think it’s possible. People want a test drive, so you look at their license, maybe photograph it and email it to yourself, but you can still imagine ways you can be robbed or worse. I sell motor scooters to people from time to time, and I can’t ride along with them.

And, if your test driver doesn’t come back, the police won’t call it stealing the car because you gave him the keys voluntarily. In fact, if that happens and the driver hits someone, you can still be held liable.

Stuff happens.

Of course there is!
You could have an LLC own the car. Or you could use an address other than your primary residence for titling purposes. Or make sure, before the title swap happens, that you ALSO know the other guy’s address. (It’s the “intelligence disparity” that’s dangerous…)

It depends who the police are. I’m satisfied with the local county police.

1 Like

It all depends on what databases they pay for.

They can get your name and address. With that they can quickly find out if you own your home and how much it’s worth, and the amount of your mortgage if you have one. If you own an expensive home but plead poor to the salesperson, they may not buy it.

If you ever used your credit card at the dealer or any company that its owner owns, then they have that purchasing info.

Maybe others can chime in with what else can be learned about you.

I suspect the frame is already broken. It looks like the only thing holding the truck together is that the middle cab mount and the rear bed mount are spanning the break. I had this happen to a truck once, except in my case it was the bed mounts spanning the breaks in the frame.

1 Like

I had a 66 Pontiac Tempest convertible do this. The outside of the body looked OK, but the frame looked like a brown lace art project. First the doors jammed, and I peeked underneath to look at the frame, said a few things that started with “Holy …” and then I sold it to the junk yard. That was 1976. They used it to run errands because it ran well, but told me it broke in half about a week later.

1 Like