Unintentional sudden deceleration

I have a 2010 Toyota Yaris at 33,000 miles . I love the car BUT on two occasions, the following has happened:

I am driving at 70 mph on the highway. Out of nowhere the car starts decelerating. I watch the needle on the mileage gauge fall and try to accelerate but even when the gas pedal to the floor, nothing happens. No odd noises, no lights go on on the dashboard. Fortunately, I am able to get over on the side of the highway safely. As I brake however, the car kind of lurches forward and feels like it wants to accelerate. After I pump the brakes briefly, the lurching stops and I start driving again and it is like nothing happened. At no time did I turn the car off. Fortunately, I’m just under my mileage for my power train warranty, but any thought or suggestions about what is going on or what I should tell the dealer? I’d say this is a pretty significant problem, especially for a new-ish car. Thanks.

Take it to the dealer as a warranty safety issue. You can’t be driving down the freeway and suddenly have the vehicle lose power where it won’t accelerate. This can cause a pile-up.

Tester

I agree with Tester.

I also don’t think we’ve heard the last on unpredictable and intermittent problems with Toyota’s ETC system. But I never did think that anyway.

I agree with both posts here. I don’t think we have seen the last of the problems with ETC. I hope I’m wrong but there seems to be an unknown glitch somewhere. Sudden deceleration can be just as dangerous as sudden acceleration given the right circumstances.

Went to two dealerships today and basically they say if they can’t recreate the problem, there’s not anything they can do. The second dealer is at least keeping it overnight to do an even more thorough inspection and also see if it can be recreated. Looks like I’m going to be driving and just hoping it doesn’t happen again. That’ seems unsatisfactory to me but I don’t know what else to do.

Be sure to keep your copies of the shop orders. Since you’ve reported this while still under warranty and the dealer was unable to correct it, shoudl it recur you should still be able to get it fixed under warranty even if you’re passed the maximum mileage.