Uniform tires for AWD -- why?

By tour leave… 700n revolutions in an hour.

Yeah if Whitey is calling you a Troll…he must have a point… He’s usually giving us Jabs. LOL He does know his stuff though so watch out what you challenge him on… He’s a sharp one that Whitey… He sticks it to me on here often as well so…watch out. LOL

I drove a Crown Vic 200 miles with a “temporary spare” on the rear at 60 mph…600 miles later, that rear end self-destructed and locked up and I had to replace the entire housing…No more temporary, undersize spares for me…The spider gears in a differential have no real bearings…They ride directly on a steel pin that holds them in the carrier…They can not withstand absorbing a CONSTANT load and rotation.

Damn Caddyman…we thought you knew better Sir… What were you thinking…or not thinking? I know you knew better…or at least I’d like to think you did… LOL

You are damn right about those spiders…which were the gears that were taking the lions share of the abuse in this case… They ride right on those steel pins just like you said… I’m surprised it lasted that long actually.

This issue is Dead and Put to BED… Its a mathematical certainty, we all know it…its the other guys out there that are challenging what we are trying to say that are sincerely CONFUSED in a major fashion.

FWIW, when in doubt, I measured from the center of the wheel to the ground and if there was no noticeable difference from wheel to wheel and the vehicle handled well I considered it road worthy. But if there was any noticeable difference in any wheel’s diameter, i.e. .1 inch, there was a problem. And the torque dividers on Subarus, Hyundais and Volvos seem more sensitive to variations than the domestic vehicles that I am most familiar with. There is a point where the difference is mostly hype, though. And the tire companies enjoy cashing in on the drama. For the non gear head motorist, keeping all 4 tires identical in size and keeping them properly inflated should be all that is necessary.

Some one will have to tell me too. I have owned awd cars for a long time. I believe it is necessary to be careful with tire sizes, wear and design. But, it’s just as important to maintain equivalent tire pressure and load vehicle in a balanced way. That should be done to all cars and it just as important in a pick up if side to .side loading is off and you drive cross country. This is where Rod makes sense…especially about the hype and fear mongering about awd vehicles. It is important for ALL cars.

Let’s put things in perspective. I understand Honda’s relativistic point of view. It’s just that the result, worn center diff in awd car can be much more expensive. I personally think it is just as important, not to load an awd vehicle in the rear even if it is within it’'s capacity, then take a long distance trip, without putting more tire pressure in the back… My point has always been, you should do it to all vehicles for safety reasons too. So, why differ in our advice ? This becomes an excellent argument for a Humvee, monitor and adjust tire pressure as you drive approach, to increase differential longevity.

What does a Relativistic point of view? Did I get something wrong…or sound like an idiot? This is entirely possible mind you… Just never heard that comment before…a “Relativistic Point of view” Now I have to go and look it up…See what you did? LOL

Blackbird

You think you don’t get it…neither does my English major wife at times. Glad I could make your day. I just meant that from your point of view, As you look at this discussion with a “by the book” approach your comments also seem to agree with those like Rod and myself who feel that the same thing can be accomplished logically by keeping track of the radius from the center of the wheel to the ground. I just felt you would accept others way accomplishing the same thing. The math is really the same.
BTW, I find myself practicing relativism.

LOL… Gotcha

Allow me to agree with all the above (except the OPs statements) Going around curves does cause some stress but it is minimal and can’t be avoided!