2017 Subaru Outback - 4 tires!

I purchased a new 2017 Outback 2.5 AWD. I just found out that if one tire needs replacement all must be replaced. I don’t like this. I had 2 tires replace once on my old Honda, but no requirement for all 4. What can I do about this???

Almost nothing . A good tire store will measure the tread and tell you if a new one will work or not. The damage cost of ruining the all wheel drive is a lot more that the price of tires.

1 Like

Sorry, but if you want all wheel drive traction in your Subaru, that is the price you pay. You must rotate tires regularly, every oil change for example and replace all 4 at the same time. Tires are cheaper than the all-wheel-drive driveline components (a LOT cheaper!!)

3 Likes

I just had an unrepairable flat (staple through tire sidewall.) Subaru tire circumferences are critical (I think I read they need to be within 5%.) I still have the original Bridgestone tires so Subaru checked the tread depths and circumferences. They ordered the same type Bridgestone tire that was delivered to them “Shaved Down” to the same depth as the other three tires.
Subaru has recommended not more than 1/4-inch CIRCUMFERENCE between tires.
2017 Outback Limited

2 Likes

You can search used tire places, or find someone who can shave down a new tire.

The only thing you can do to avoid this is dump the Subaru.

Ur answering post from 2018? I think OP has left the building

No, they can get the new tire shaved to match the old tires.

1 Like

Do all wheel.drive vehicles have a warning light on the dashboard to alert the driver that there is a tire size mismatch problem?

You can sell the Subaru!

5% difference in circumference or 1/4" difference in circumference?

On a car tire, those are very different numbers. What is Subaru’s recommendation? Should be in owners manuals.

Not any of the Subarus that we have owned.