Unibody repair

HAVE A 2011 HYUNDAI ACCENT HAVE NOT MADE 2nd PAYMENT YET. WAS REAR ENDED AND WENT AIRBOURN INTO A TRACTOR TRAILER WAS HIT BY ALARGE BOX TRUCK FRONT AREA AND RIGHT SIDE DAMAGE

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Do you have a question?

WITH FRONT AND REAR DAMAGE WITH EXSTENSIVE DAMAGE ALONG WITH RIGHT SIDE AND THE BEING A 2011 AND THE COLLISION REPAIR PEOPLE SAY THE VEHICLE IS VERY UNLIKELY TO RETURN THE VEHICHLE TO PRE ACCIDENT CONDITION, BUT MY INSURANCE "STATE FARM SAYS IT CAN THE AT FAULT INSURANCE HAS NOT WEIGHED IN AT THIS POINT

CAN THIS DAMAGE BE REPAIRED

CAN THIS DAMAGE BE FIXED SAFLE

Yes, this damage can be safely repaired. Most of the damage is to doors and fender panels that are bolted on. The unibody appears to have some dents, but the ‘crush zones’ don’t appear to have been affected. These are tied to the bumpers and buckling in the front and rear fenders is a key indicator of crush zone compression. I dont’ see any.

The unibody in the rear hatch area is bent, but a pinch weld puller can pop that back out. I’ve seen it done, and it is an amazing fix.

The front radiator core support is toast, but it is a bolt in replacement. The unibody forms a ‘U’-shape in the front, and the front apron areas look basically sound.

This will be an expensive repair, but do-able. If the body shop is competent, which a good insurer would demand, this car can be restored to ‘like-new’ conditions.

Please be aware that typing in all capitals and skipping punctuation will cause many readers to skip your posting and move to ones that are easier to read.

First I hope you can though this with minimal or no injury. It is a tribute to modern cars and their safety designs that many of us are still around.

I agree with Lion9car about the ALL CAPS and lack of punctuation. If all caps was easier to read, you would find newspapers and books would be published that way.

BK, Having Had The Misfortune Of Managing A Body / Collision Shop (And Writing Estimates) For 2 Years Somewhere In My Past, I Concur With Your Assessment Of This Situation.

CSA

Having Had The Misfortune Of Managing A Dealership (Not Hyundai) Body / Collision Shop (And Writing Estimates) For 2 Years Somewhere In My Past, I Would Like To Offer A Suggestion.

Don’t get too excited yet, as this may not work for you.

I’m sure they have a used car sales lot, but does your Hyundai dealer operate its own body / collision repair shop ? If not I wonder what shop they use ?

Having one’s new car trashed is awful and makes you wonder if it will ever be the same, not to mention the lost time and inconvenience.

I had a couple of customers go through this same thing. We got several departments at the dealership together (new car sales, used car sales, body shop, General Manager) and came up with an arrangement (with the help and blessings of the insurance company) whereby the vehicle owner traded in the damaged car for a brand new one.

It was win-win. The customer got to start fresh without much delay, the New Car Department sold another car, the Used Car Department got an almost new trade (albeit repaired, but under warranty otherwise), and the Body Shop (and Parts Dpartment) got some business.

If you can get the dealer to see how this could work (business for several departments) and if they’d be gracious enough to help you, it could work. Would you be willing to pay a little to make it happen, if need be ? How much ? Have something in mind (factor in peace of mind, iconvenience, future diminished value of car, etcetera).

I’d call my New Car salesperson and run this by her / him if you’re interested.

CSA

YEP THAT’S WHY NEWSPAPERS AND BOOKS ARE NOW A THING OF THE PAST!!! AS FOR MY INJURY THE ARE MAY A QUITE SERIOUS. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

Did any air bags or seat belt tensioners go off?. In your conversation with an adjuster tell them you want a water leak test done, you want to drive at high speed and check for wind noise and you want the structure of every seat instected. Broken seat frames often escape being included in the inital estimate. Tell them you also want a new battery as this is going to sit a while. Make sure the AC is repaired “by the book” As it is now moisture is entering the system. If just the front bags went off this is easy 12K probablty more.

I don’t know how they do things in your state but this car might be a candidate for being declared a total wreck.
Around here if the repair costs meet or exceed 60% of the real value of the car (real value, not what it sells for on the lot, etc.) then they’re often declared a total.

That car can certainly be fixed but what I would be concerned about is damage that is not very noticeable or not noticeable at all. A few years ago my youngest son was involved in a wreck with his Camaro when someone turned in front of him. The Crown Vic he hit was totalled out and my son’s Camaro really did not look that bad at all so he decided to keep the car with the possible intention of having me fix it. It didn’t even damage the radiator, headlights, or battery yet it buckled the subframe and strut tower, buckled the inner fender, and bent some of the suspension components on the right front.

If the car were mine I’d want it written off and then get a fresh start with another one.

Wow, Oldschool, You’re A Tough Customer. Good Advice Though And I Can Tell You’ve Had Experience Dealing With Insurance Adjusters.

If the insurance adjuster senses that you are going to be a Royal PITA they will do everything in their power to total the car.

CSA

Ok 4450, Good Advice Here As Well. May I Add To That The Car Owner / Insurance Payer Can Put Pressure On Their Insurance Agent To Total It. Sometimes When It’s A Close Call That Helps Things Along.

CSA

I stopped reading here. I no longer care how this works out for you.

You are not governed by what your own insurance company says, assuming you’re not at fault.
You have every right to file suit against the other driver, if he rear ended you. People let insurance companies decide “who’s at fault” only as a convenience matter. Ultimately, it’s the courts that decide. Been there, done that, (and won).

In some states, you can sue for depreciated value, due to the accident. The car was basically new. You are entitled to one in that condition. I sure sure wouldn’t by a repaired car, no matter how good the body shop is

Fixing water leaks and wind noise can be time consuming.

Any “Opens” On An Estimate When A Car Is Close To Total Can Put It Over The Top.

I wonder if the hood opens / was opened. It takes a lot to total a new car. I’ve seen some rally gnarly ones that suprisingly weren’t all that close because the car’s value is so high.

CSA