Understanding buying terms and choosing SUV

@db4690 & @volvov70 … the only way the salesman will get $35,000 is if the customer writes a check for that amount. One presumes the customer understands this and will do business elsewhere if all the deals presented are too expensive.

I take the opposite approach that seems to have worked for many years. First, do all the research you can to find a fair market price. Then I tell the salesman, " I can pay cash for any car you have on your lot. I am not looking for the most expensive or the least. I am looking for a fair deal. "

I have in mind exactly which car I want, but don’t tell them and I try out several above and below and go through the motion negotiating all of them instead of just letting the salesman focus on one. The key is this… I keep reminding him that I carry the check made out to them in my pocket and if the right number I feel comfortable is there, he gets the " check" NOW .

You cannot show any indication that any car is Special to you, even if it is and even when you are ready to buy. Indicate that if any unexpected add ons come up later after you agree, you walk; all you are finally interested in, is the " out the door price ". That is really important !

By the same token, if you are not ready to buy, but just looking at the field, be honest about that so you don’t waste their time negotiating when you have no Intention of buying.

I have a list of cars on the lot that I want when I go car shopping. I also know what that car would typically sell for, new or used. That way I know that I can afford it and never have to be the first to mention money. I even tell the salesman what the competition is if I don’t like the price. Eventually we get about where i want to be and then I offer a price and say I will write a down payment check and come back with a check for the entire amount the next day.