Unable to fill gas

Yes indeed, almost any malfunction in the vapor recovery system will cause a CEL indication and set a trouble code…These systems are not standardized between manufactures, and some of them can be very complex. Failure in these systems is pretty uncommon however. Vegas, with extreme daytime temperatures, can tax any fuel system with above normal fuel boil-off. (Gasoline contains a surprising amount of butane which can produce high vapor pressure).

There have been many posts on this board concerning “impossible to fill my tank” complaints. They ALWAYS lead back to these anti-rollover check valves sticking in the closed position because the owner overfilled the tank during the previous fill-up, or perhaps just a normal fill-up…In my Dodge P/U, this valve consists of a lacquered cork ball, about 2.75 inches in diameter inside a tapered cage…In the normal position, the gasoline flows around this ball and into the tank…With the truck upside down, the fuel would try to flow out the filler pipe (if it was damaged) but this check ball would shift position and plug the filler pipe close to the tank…

The anti-rollover valves that I am familiar with are in the top of the tank and won’t interfere with filling the tank. I must admit that I have never dealt with this problem on a BMW, but many, many other makes and models have appeared with that complaint and either the fill hose or the smaller vent hose inside the fill hose have always been the cause.

Thank you.

You said you were towed to a dealer, so I’m assuming that your car was serviced by an authorized BMW dealership.

Here’s my advice - most importantly - decide what you believe to be a fair settlement. Then be patient and prepared for a possible long term commitment to getting a resolution.

Make copies of the receipts you were given and write your story. It is important that you don’t write an emotional story or point fingers. Stick to the facts. Tell them you’ve always been happy with BMW and the services you’ve had to date. Send the letter registered to the manager of the dealership that worked on your car and send copies to the regional manager for BMW and anyone with any authority in the company (the more bigwigs the better). In your letter give them 10 days to respond. Send a copy to a local consumer advocate.

If they don’t respond or respond with an unacceptable answer, keep a copy of the response and respond to them again - restating your proposal, with copies of your letter and their recent response to everyone again. Mention that you have decided never to buy a BMW again and have the support of many friends and family whose future purchasing decisions will be influenced by the outcome of your situation.

That’s what I’d do. I’ve done something similar in the past and it worked.

Again - Most importantly - think about the situation and know exactly what you want and tell them you see it as a fair resolution. Stick to facts and don’t argue.

Good luck.

Thank you a lot for your suggestion!